rcdinaz

Long range wireless target cam

Thought I would share my set up for target viewing at 1K yards now that I have it working.

I used an old linksys router along with a cheap IP camera and a yagi antenna so I can view the target on my laptop or on my phone. Set up was not that complicated and can be done via the camera viewer software or your browser.

It was pretty cheap as I had an old router so only bought the antenna (x2), camera, and batteries. The batteries can be had from Amazon for less the $10 a piece and will last pretty much all day if fully charged. I aranged all of it on a salvaged pc of conduit as you can see in the pics. Cost would be $200-$250 to set up, does not include the targets.

This eliminates the mirage problems that start to show up around 400 yds and you can record on your laptop to pinpoint hits and misses.

Let me know if anyone wants more details.

post-5700-0-28893000-1342123151.jpg

post-5700-0-05125800-1342123159.jpg

• Like 5

Great way to save a lot of walking too. I only fer that one of my friends might yank a shot and...oops!

That is way cool!! I don't shoot that far, and can usually use a spotting scope. As popular as long range shooting is now, I bet you could market that.

There are already some on the market, pretty spendy though, I picked up the idea from the LRH site. All I did was make it a lot cheaper, had the router in a box to throw out before I stumbled on to the idea. In the process I learned you could also use a smartphone with a camera if you have cell service but you have to have the phone kind of close and that would be an expensive miss. This is actaully 10-15 feet away from the camera and a BAD miss would cost $100 at the most. I start at 1/10 mil error to the opposite side of the camera for a sighting shot to try and avoid destroying anything. I had too many days in the past where the spotter was only good to about 400-500yds due to mirage in the summer, I have a Swaro 80mm HD and still couldn't see the hits/misses.

Let me know if you need more details or some close up pics. The biggest issue was figuring out that you have to do a full reset of the settings on a router and remove all of the security which you don't need when your out in the middle of God's country. The security features are just one more way to trip up the camera link back to the laptop/phone.

The batteries you need will be 12V, ~ 1A (mine were 1.2A) camera and router have the same pwr requirements (2 for $18)

The Yagi antennas are from eBay, I used the ones inside a tube so they don't get wrecked in the field or in the truck (about $40 per)

Router Linksys WRT54G (used one is arounf $30)

Camera is TP-Link TL-SC3171 (I paid $90 for mine)

I'm totally interested. Could you PM me some specifics about how you put this thing together/programmed the router?

I have a one page list for the equipment and setup but wil have to send it over email. If you PM me I will send the attachment your way.

I hvae had a few requests for more details. Here is the word document where I kept my notes for reference. Sorry if it is a bit tough to follow as I wrote this for my reference not as a real tutorial.

Let me know if you have questions.

Amanda let me know if there are any issues with posting this or the links to other sites as an example of which products I used spcifically.

IP Camera setup.doc

I would like to have more information on your target camera setup. It sounds like a very inexpensive solution to the target spotting problem.

Could you describe the exact equipment you use and generally how you connect it?

Is the picture stable and at what range do you use it?

Can't wait to hear about it!

Very cool! Thanks for sharing and for the setup specs.

jnf, nothing more I can really share unless you have a very specific question. The parts list is above and in the attachment right above your entry. Open the attachment it is very detailed.

Is there any more current info on how the system has performed over time, any changes to equipment, or setup data, and of course your satisfaction with the system after using it for over 2 years.

By the way, I found your instructions clear and easy to follow. I did have connection problems after disconnecting the camera from the router though, and not sure why.

I do have a question - What is the LRH Site?

I am glad it worked out for you.

LRH is the longrangehunting.com site.

I only was able to use the system 3 times not counting playing with it a couple of times in the neighborhood and up north to show a friend how to put one together. I never had any issues and one time used my phone the entire time instead of the laptop. There really is no moving and these old routers were pretty bullet proof. I actually keep the system in an old duffle bag in the garage and last time everything still worked just fine. My kids are getting into shooting more now that they are old enough so I hope to break it out again this winter and get them out to shoot.