Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

Javelina Pics (baby)

This is a little late but we had some close encounters with Javelina in December while scouting for our archery and rifle hunts. And this is with the Nikon D40 18-55mm lense so no real zooming here. A little scary being this close to mamma.

javelina1.jpg

javelina2.jpg

javelina3.jpg

Hope you enjoyed :)

That is way cool picture!!! Thanks for sharing :)

Great pictures! Wow they look like a hamster when there young.

Years ago, as a teenager, I ran into some young ones like that...and in spite of everything (ethics, laws, etc.), I was going to snatch one and raise it as a pet. HOWEVER, when I reached down to pick it up, it raised the long bristles on its back and popped its baby teeth at me just like an adult would do. I was afraid it was going to bite off half of my finger. So, I wisely kept all my digits and walked away. Crazy teenage ideas! (I also wanted to find and raise a baby bobcat back then too).

• Like 1

Man, those are some great pictures! I love seeing those little reds. Javelina are really cool animals. Is that the umbellical cord on that last one? Looks like he could be just hours old. What a neat experience - thanks for sharing.

Those pictures are awesome, we get hem footballs in are back yard all the time with a semi domesticated herd but never with the cord . j_13 would have blown them away. is that first shot yawning or gettin ready to clack its teeth?:::

Thanks for the comments guys. That is it's umbilical cord. They were no more than a day old. The first picture was just a yawn but boy does the picture look scary. The last picture you can see the mom's back behind the tree. I was on the one side and the baby was circling the mom for milk and then saw me and walked right toward me. It was less than a foot from the lens. It was a little scary being that close to mom but the most she did was stand up with hair raised like the second picture.

Awesome pictures man!