Sign in to follow this  
THE RIFLEMAN

Tecnique - Camera Saturation

Well I sure am glad to hear stories like Rifleman and Becker where they actually track down the bad guys and get their stuff back. Usually, it doesn't work out that way so I'm glad to see some of the theiving scumbags get held accountable.

Nicely done, gents!

Rifleman, I sure hope they drop the case against you. You were just doing the right thing, and it sounds like you were able to not only retrieve your own stolen property but that of other hunters. Kudos, and stand tough.

This may be a stretch, but I'd bet a vast majority of camera theft boils down to 17-22 year olds. There just seems to be a period where young boys turning into men don't have the mental capacity to comprehend the nature of their actions. (BTW, this applies to ALL crimes if you study it a little). It's not necessarily that they are "bad kids" - their brains are just wired differently at that age. Empathy, consequence, conscience, "moral compass", are often lost on these young men at that age - I know I didn't develope those character qualities until I was older.

Maybe all us dads have a responsibility to teach these things, reward and encourage them, because they sure don't come natural to a late-teens/early twenties boy. They HAVE to be taught by a positve role model.

Ok, stepping off the soapbox.

• Like 1

The spread of evil is the symptom of a vaccum. Whenever evil wins it is only by default, by the moral failure of those who evade the fact there can be no compromise on basic principals- Ayn Rand

Citizens arrest is only for Felonys, not misdemeanor theft...

Maybe this is what I read. But I thought i remember reading somewhere else that a "citizens arrest" can't be done ever. Its kind of a "myth" per se. Maybe that's what the kids attorny is arguing??

Didnt mean to distract from the original idea of theives being caught red-handed is perfect! Just thinking out loud.

Isn't any valued object over 500 dollars concerning theft a Felony. Pretty sure 20+ cameras are valued more then a 1000 dollars.

If he is 19 what are his parents doing involved? 17 yeah maybe but if it were my kid he'd be doing community service at each persons house with me standing over him.

Not to say mine now 22 was an angel but he took his lumps when he stepped out of line. I'd probably thank you for making him call everyone.

And don't think that a "breach of.the peace" is anything you want to get involved with... unless you have lots of money for lawyers...

Isn't any valued object over 500 dollars concerning theft a Felony. Pretty sure 20+ cameras are valued more then a 1000 dollars.

NO. It would be 20 counts of misdemeanor petty theft.

NO. It would be 20 counts of misdemeanor petty theft.

That's Bull, the justice system is so dang crooked.

I have to ask, has anyone ever got their camera as back when they have been stolen? A license plate doesn’t mean anything. I highly doubt if you went to their house or had the cops do so off of the plate number (which I doubt the police would do) that they will fess up to taking them.

I just try to put mine in a place that no one will find it, but sometimes that is impossible. Taking it out during weekends is a great idea but not many of us live close enough to be going up every weekend or it can get pretty expensive. I like to bring my climber stand along and put my camera up high in a tree and Angle it down with a rock or something behind it. This way they at least have to work for it by not only cutting the cable but going back and getting their climber to do it as well.

GBA

Putting cameras up on water holes and leaving them for weeks is inviting theives to steal them No amount of cables,chains or lag bolts will prevent theiverie..If I have to leave cameras out and go to work or other areas then my method to prevent this is to put my cameras out on Sunday as late in the day as possible an then pick them up early as possible on the following Saturday. If I am staying in an area to scout I will try to remove all my cameras from high traffic areas during weekends.

One camera cannot usually monitor an entire waterhole so I put out as many as it takes to cover the entire area... With the smaller cameras like the Covert I have found that a small tripod works great because there just aint allways a tree where you need one. Placed infront of a rock,bush or downed tree the little cameras are virtually invisible... I will also place cameras monitoring the roads/trails leading to the water hole to snag license plate info of potential camera burglers. Putting 4 0r 5 cameras up for 1 or 2 days in the middle of the week will tell me alot more about what critters are visiting a waterhole than one camera will in 2 weeks with less chance of getting stolen!

This is what I have learned from experience I didn't just cook this up. Its been years since I have had a camera stolen and I attribute it to using these methods!

Yes I used license plate info to get cameras back on 3 ocassions - The last time was hilarious - I followed the guy from his house the weekend after he did the deed , to where he had put my camera up ... Caught him red handed , relieved him of his side arm, looked in the back of his rig and found 27 cameras all differant makes and models about 2/3 of them had differant name and phone # in them.... So we called them all with the a$$ standing there "CRYING" and let them know who took their cameras... One of the victims was a cop and knew the individual and his parents --- We turned the whole mess over to him and he handled it - The theif was just a kiD 19 years old!

How do you find out where someone lives with a plate number?

How do you make the assumption that because you have a plate number, that they took the camera (just curious as I am thinking about using this method to try and mitigate future theft)?

I would think that one of those 27 other victims would also belong to this forum, and probably owes you a big thank you. Were all of the cameras returned to the original owners?

Lance,

What force can I use to arrest someone? This is a serious question. If someone yelled at me saying "Citizens arrest, STOP!!" I'd probably laugh. But if he pulled a gun on me and said the same thing, I'd probably listen....

Guns talk, they talk real loud lol

name='Tines' timestamp='1344097403' post='322470']

Lance,

What force can I use to arrest someone? This is a serious question. If someone yelled at me saying "Citizens arrest, STOP!!" I'd probably laugh. But if he pulled a gun on me and said the same thing, I'd probably listen....[/b]

Or if you hide out in your Gile Suit next to the camera theifs jeep , step out 3 feet away when he returns , scare the poop out of him and when he fumbles around to draw his pistol crack him upside the head with a soft buttstroke .....Then when he wakes up arrest him! LMAO

Rifleman, keep us updated on what happens with the whole court thing. Maybe we can all pitch in and raise some funds if it drags out and gets more expensive.