Sign in to follow this  
Koury Guide Service

3A-3C Deer Hunts!

With the draw to be out any day I thought I would expand on the potential that the 3A-3C has for deer now. It used to be a great elk unit and now with all the number of tags the elk have taken a hit, but the deer are going to be on the up swing. The unit has been changed to an alternative management unit so the age class of deer should get better this year and the years to come. Since the big fire in 2002 the buck brush is every where in the unit. The unit was just getting real good and then the Game and Fish opened it to over the counter archery tags and you could hardly move in the unit with out running into other hunters. Now were back to a draw for all the hunts and the tags have been cut way back for this year, it is going to be good this year and just getting better for the years to come. We spend alot of time in the unit glassing deer and elk starting in July and all the way through the hunts. We have seen some awesome looking deer in the unit, some we have been able to harvest and others are still alive and getting bigger. Here are pictures of the deer we were able to harvest in 2011 only.

Hugo+logo+2.jpg

IMG_0390.JPG

hunting36IMAG0009.jpg

mom_deer_041+logo.jpg

post-3385-0-32483600-1320331871_thumb.jpg

skyler+logo+black+deer.jpg

ty+deer.jpg

steffen+logo-2+deer.jpg

post-3385-0-68564100-1320331832_thumb.jpg

Double+Trouble+copy.jpg

mom+deer+047.JPG

Here are a couple from the prior year of the Junior Hunt!

PA120905+(1280x960).jpg

PA080895+(1280x960).jpgNow a couple that are still getting bigger and smarter.[/url]

Image16.jpg

3C+velvet+2011.jpg

Image17.jpg

5204296356815905627-8170513653344946835?l=kouryguideservice1.blogspot.com

View the full article

• Like 1

Wow, those are some great bucks! I have seen some giants while on a muzzleloader elk hunt! Good luck on this upcoming season!

Great pictures!

You are talking me into putting in for this as first choice going forward as it would be really convenient since I have a place in Pinetop. If I ever get drawn I will give you a call.

Good luck this year Shane. Can't wait to see more of the big ones. :)

TJ

Anyone else draw this tag? Just curious if there is going to be any fellow CWT members out there hunting this hunt?

Anyone else draw this tag? Just curious if there is going to be any fellow CWT members out there hunting this hunt?

The wife and I drew rifle tags for 3A/3C this year

My question is, there seems to be alot of excitement about the big bucks now in 3A/3C. Have they always been there or has the fire & the new growth developed a kaibab like deer? :)

TJ

You can bet I will be there. The only question is who will be behind the trigger looking at the huge bucks I found in there scope?

Just hope you or your clients can pull the trigger faster than I can! Lol jk thanks for posting the pictures, they are awesome!

Thats awesome Vowell. Its always good when you can poke a little fun at people with out anyone taking it wrong. Good luck on the hunt.. TJ the deer in 3A-3C have really taken off after the fire in 2003. After it burnt there is way more buck brush type stuff for the deer to eat that is helping with the horn growth. I dont know all the technical lingo but to answer your question is has got way better after the fire. Dont let my pictures fool people there is not big deer behind every tree like some people try to say. The two deer my kids killed last year on the Junior hunt were over 45 miles apart. It takes alot of time behind a pair of glass and alot of patience since the new oaks are very thick in the burn area. Also the reservation burnt also and that never hurts having that right next door.

Koury I have heard nothing but good about your service!!! You guys have really put down some amazing bucks, congrats and maybe see each other out there. My brother ran into some of your clients last year out in the field and were very nice and respectfull!

Wished we'd have drawn it for deer. It was our first choice. But my Dad and my boys did get drawn for Bull Elk in Nov/Dec ... bet we see a lot of nice bucks out running around that time of year.