Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Keeping OHV Secure while hunting - How?

I've got a Ranger, but I'm hesitant to take it hunting because it seems like it would be fairly easy to steal. I've done some searching and I know you can get alarms for them, but I'm not interested in that. Seems the only way to immobilize them is with a cable, but that doesn't seem real foolproof either.

Just curious what others out there have found to keep your OHV safe when you leave it to hunt for the day.

Sometimes i hide the key and the rest of the time i actually leave the key in the ignition. Never had a problem over the past 12 years.

• Like 1

Disconnect the battery cables/ and take or hide the battery if you want to have more security.

• Like 1

I prefer to sit on a ridgetop, glassing with a clear view and shot at the vehicle. ;) Seriously though in my experience you are more likely to have items stolen out of the OHV than have the vehicle stolen.

• Like 2

Im with TexAz, sometimes i leave the key in it, sometimes I hide it nearby. We had a rhino stolen out of our trailer in Happy Jacks storage in2010. They used a random key to break the ignition on ours as well as a few other motorcycles. That rhino still uses a lockpick to start it. They are super easy to steal, just make sure your insurance is up to date!

If if you disconnect the cables they are not going to take the time to try and diagnose the problem to steal it, they wouldnt steal it without a winch trailer. Leaving the key in it is the dumbest thing ive ever heard just Leave your wallet on the seat too. Key goes into your pack along with your tag, wallet, and knife.

It is always a lingering concern, but have not had a problem with my quads in 7 years. I just put the key in my pack. Sometimes I cable the two quads together side by side....makes it pretty hard to roll them onto a trailer that way.

Maybe install a kill switch. Get one of those wheel lock-block things the cops use.

Had the snap closures that keep the front plastics down on a rhino stolen while out hunting. The ride back to camp sucked with the front hood bouncing up and down.

Just take the key, no matter what you do if they want it they'll take it! But the longer they have to try the safer you are! Pull a fuse to your ignition system would be the easiest I think.

Just take the key, no matter what you do if they want it they'll take it! But the longer they have to try the safer you are! Pull a fuse to your ignition system would be the easiest I think.