mtn-memories

Looking for help with a GREAT problem

Here's my problem ... I have both an October bull elk tag and an October coues tag in unit 6a! The hunts are at the same time (coues hunt last a few days longer). How would you approach these hunts? Focus primarily on the elk first and move to coues after the bull is down and dead? Or find a place where there is a good chance of glassing either? I don't have very much experience in 6a and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Are they the same weapon or is the elk tag muzz/archery?

Definitely keep both weapons in the truck. If you have a friend with you, maybe have him carry the rifle (make sure he has a lion tag) and you carry the muzz or bow. I would try and hunt an area that has both animals in close proximity.

What a problem to have!!! LOL Wish I had it.

I think I would start with what tag is my number one priority to fill... The flip side is will you be able to pattern either species so that you can have one on the ground quickly and then focus on the other species... With the deer hunt lasting longer, I would probably focus on the elk tag first.

Focus on the bull tag but be ready for the coues. You should be able to find a spot with both with no problem.

I really don't see a problem here, the biggest bulls in 6a are right in that coues country!!! I've hunted and guided in that unit for quite a few years and have never hunted elk around a pine tree! Good luck this year!

I've been in 6A the past two seasons on successful coues hunts, I've only seen one herd of elk. Had a good bull with them, prolly 350-360. Last oct we had a bull bugling right at nightfall in one of our areas, was a welcome suprise! I hunt in the southern part of the unit. PM me and I'll tell you exactly where for both species. Lots of good bucks and bulls in there and I'm super jealous, congratulations buddy!

The biggest bulls I've glassed in 6A have been while looking for coues deer.....hunt them both at the same time in the same canyons.

+1

What you need to do is go glassing for lion.. Then you will find the biggest coues and or elk of your life! OR in a loud, clear voice say (so the hunting Gods can hear) that you are hunting elk today.... Then, a 120" Coues will step out. Kill him, then proclaim that you are looking for lions/pigs/coyotes etc and a 370" bull will step out, probably right off the road.

I can't wait to see the end result of your hunt! If you spot the bull and the buck on the same hill then shoot the bull first! I love Coues but a big bull is better.

What a dilema.

That is an extremely rare circumstance in AZ, to be hunting the majestic Bull elk and the grey ghost at the same time.

I hope you realize how lucky you are.

What caliber are you going to carry?

Lots of great advice from the members. You sure are lucky to have been drawn for these hunts.

I am curious, what caliber will you use if you are taking only one rifle, or will you take two.

I would hunt for both at the same time with one rifle.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Dave B

I have the same lucky problem as you kinda I have a unit 7 archery antelope tag and a Kaibab archery deer tag that start on the same day lucky they are both open for 2 and 3 weeks. To add to this I also have a archery Bull elk tag in September!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :)