Sign in to follow this  
Jaybird

Kaibab Archery Hunt

Well I have always wanted to hunt the Kaibab (bucket list) and this year I managed to pull an archery tag. I consider myself to be a pretty good all around hunter and if given the time and the money to drive back and forth I could figure the area out and locate some nice bucks, or the areas that hold some larger deer, but I have neither so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty knowledgeable on the whitetails around Tucson and could help someone out on a hunt around here, units 33, 34A, 35, 32, 36 A, B, C, Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, just some good recommendations on where to start.

Thanks

Jaybird congrats on the tag bro! Have fun up there north of the ditch.

I think it will be a fun hunt this year. Last year we saw more bucks than we ever have before, not a single one spotted from a truck or a road though. That is the key. My two cents: Get off the roads, hike slow, and glass the opposite hillsides and bottoms when it isn't too thick to do so. There were TONS of guys, more than I have ever seen, hunting from blinds and treestands over salt and water with disappointing results. Just cuz you got a decent buck on a trail cam before season doesn't mean much once the people start thronging the woods in camo. Sure some good ones are killed that way every once in a while, but you are not going to see 40 bucks a weekend sitting on your butt:) There are 700 hunters up there, and all of the accessible water sources are no secret.