Sign in to follow this  
dtower

Unit 33 Mule Deer ?

Thinking of going for a left over any antlered deer tag for 33 . I prefer to hunt muleys, is this a bad Idea ?

DT

check the hunter success rates for MD for that unit for the last 3 - 4 years and you should find your answer.

Hey sun devil isn't that a muzzler loader hunt, that's left over?

Hey sun devil isn't that a muzzler loader hunt, that's left over?

It is a muzzle loader hunt, Have you hunted this unit ?

Yep for Wt not muledeer though seen a couple nothing that made me want to put in for 33 muley though I think 37B across the road is a better unit.

Maybe this tag got overlooked amongst some who would like it. But IMO, there's a reason almost 3/4 of the permits weren't taken. And I think Rombo's clan took the rest! I'm exaggerating, sort of. I personally dont care for this hunt as its just one more hunt in 33 where wt can be chased with a firearm. If I understand everything, there's essentially 1775 WT permits in 33 for 30 days straight hunting (nov 9- dec 9). This also isn't considering the 150 jr tags in the middle of October OR the archery hunters that will hit it in August/september and Dec/Jan.

Anyway, I'm sure some will do okay and I'm sure a big buck or two will get shot, but few and far between. Many will probably chase wt with the idea that fewer hunters are in the field. That's why I'd do it, anyway.

I think the mule deer suffer just as much in this unit... Used to be outstanding in certian areas until more outfitters and bunches of people relentlessly over hunted this perticular area. I used to love that unit before it went to crap. Heck I used to see 5 different heards of javelina in this one particular area, but the exact same thing happened in the exact same area as the Deer, too many people keyed in on certian heards deminshing the population and reducing quality opportunities. Setting up pig camps for 3 months straight never giving the wildlife a chance year after year is poor management in my eyes. I now hunt a different area every year and am enjoying it. Wish they would cool down tag numbers, its not always about money

• Like 1

I think the mule deer suffer just as much in this unit... Used to be outstanding in certian areas until more outfitters and bunches of people relentlessly over hunted this perticular area. I used to love that unit before it went to crap. Heck I used to see 5 different heards of javelina in this one particular area, but the exact same thing happened in the exact same area as the Deer, too many people keyed in on certian heards deminshing the population and reducing quality opportunities. Setting up pig camps for 3 months straight never giving the wildlife a chance year after year is poor management in my eyes. I now hunt a different area every year and am enjoying it. Wish they would cool down tag numbers, its not always about money

Yeah they need to start thinking about conservation and not their wallet when they had an extra 500 tags on every hunt in 33.

• Like 1

Opportunity is what the call it now right? It's a joke

Way too many tags and people buying up property.

• Like 1

Unit 33 used to have quality Mule Deer hunting. But with a decade of drought, predator population explosion, and G&F issuing too many tags every year. The good ole days are gone for good. 14% success rate for Mule deer in this unit is horrible. And of that 14% I would bet that half or more of those are spikes and forkhorns.

Unit 33 has been mis-managed to the point that it is Wildlife Management Malpractice. Just look at what they are doing to the Whitetail in that unit, 2,675 tags this year and last. Wont be long and the Whitetail success rate will be down to 14% also.

• Like 2

Lower success rates mean more hunters required to meet managment goals means more tags sold means more hunter opportunity. It's a win win for AZGFD.

Hmm I was chasing a nice 140 to 150 4x4 last Jan in 33 on public land. Wouldn't mind that tag this year myself. Put some time in glassing and you will do just fine.