tjhunt2

Women's hand gun for protection

If she is not able to practice much, learn clearance drills, work the slide, load the magazines (hand strength), etc... then I would recommend a small handgun. I bought my wife a Taurus 5-shot .38 several years ago for a few hundred bucks. Operation is simple and reliable. If she plans to carry concealed or in a purse then get the hammerless version. Integrated laser sight is a good idea too. In the heat of the moment, gun operation has to be second nature. Revolver is pretty much a no-brainer.

+1 on the laser

• Like 1

The most important thing to consider.....anyone who chooses to use a gun for self-defense must do some soul searching and decide in their own mind if they are willing to take a human life. If the situation ever arises, and there is any hesitation or second thoughts, that gun could be taken away and used on you. Gun ownership, especially concealed carry, is a big responsibility which a lot of people don't consider.

• Like 1

Hammerless revolver for carry, I conceal a smith and wesson 642. Shoots 38+p's and despite what some say, a 38 will stop bad people. No hammer, very reliable and takes no thinking to fire it. No safety's to think about, however probably the safest gun to carry. I have my wife carry one in here purse, and I tell her when she is walking late at night, she can have her hand on the gun inside her purse and no one has to know. If she needs to use it, it will fire right thru the purse and you do not need to room for the action to cycle. It will go bang all 5 times. If it is for Target practice, I love 22's and if you want something bigger go with the glock 17. Full size 9mm easy to shoot and very reliable.

A guy that can't remember his anniversary date should not buy his wife a handgun.

• Like 3

Ok here is my $0.02 on this.

My wife will always carry a wheel gun. (Revolver) Lets face it for most of us our ladies do not shoot as much as we do. Semi autos malfunction and require training and practice to clear malfuntions quickly.

I have also noticed that allot of ladies have trouble working the slide on semi auto's. A small framed easily concealable semi auto handgun usually has a short slide, barrel etc. In order to stop the slide from slamming all the way back against the frame in that short distance recoil springs are usually a higher poundage than a longer slide in the same caliber therefore making it more difficult to "rack the slide" or clear a malfunction.

A revolver will always go bang. There are no safetys to worry about just point and shoot. If it dosnt go off they will do what is natural and pull the trigger again rotating to the next cylinder for another try. That being said I also believe the revolver should be both double and single action. Shooting single action is above and beyond more accurate than making a double action shot 9 out of 10 times. I believe they should have this option especially since we have taught them the first thing to do is seak cover whenever possible right? obviously if they dont have the time to cock the hammer they dont need to just point squeeze. The problem with a double/single action revolver is the hammer must be exposed and has the potential to hang up while being drawn from a purse, pocket, clothing etc.This is why so many prefer to carry the "hammerless" double action revolvers limiting themselves to that long nasty trigger pull everytime.

Again that being said my wife and I have found what we believe to be the perfect CCW gun for her to carry. It is the J framed Smith and Wesson 686 Bodygaurd .38 special. It is a small lightweight single and double action revolver with a shrouded hammer that eliminates any snagging.

+1

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm sure glad I asked this question because there was alot I wouldn't have thought of. This site sure has alot of knowledgeable people. That's what makes it the best all-round huntin site on the web.

After reading DesertBull's comments I just might have second thoughts. lol

TJ

The most important thing to consider.....anyone who chooses to use a gun for self-defense must do some soul searching and decide in their own mind if they are willing to take a human life. If the situation ever arises, and there is any hesitation or second thoughts, that gun could be taken away and used on you. Gun ownership, especially concealed carry, is a big responsibility which a lot of people don't consider.

+1. You must be able to use it to protect yourself period. does little good otherwise.

come to think about it, I like the revolver idea for someone who doesn't shoot a lot. the only downfall for me is reloading if needed. I like to pop a slide out and pop one in. a revolver takes ME forever.

+1 laser

Here's one that hasn't been brought up yet. The Baretta Tomcat. I'll start with the cons: It's 32 ACP.

Ok, now that we're past that, first thing I'll say is you can get some pretty decent self defense rounds in 32 ACP that help bridge the gap from there to .380/9MM.

The Pros. Semi Auto so it's very slim, low recoil, very easy to use, and for my wife the #1 selling point - No slide to work. The barrel tips up from the front and you just stick one in, press it down till it clicks and fire till it's empty.

I knew my wife was going to be picky. She refused to even look at the revolvers, mini Glocks etc. She liked the Walther 380 and clones, but just couldn't work the slide on top. As soon as she handled the Tomcat, she said that was exactly what she wanted.

TJ, when I was teaching folks I would recommend they start with a double action revolver, every time they squeeze the trigger it goes bang. As they get more comfortable then move to semi-auto's and work with actions to take on jams, misfires, etc.

My wife keeps a Ruger Speed Six handy, loaded with hot .357's. When I take her out practicing she uses light loads I made, then finishes off with a few rounds of hot loads.