Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

7mm Rem Mag and Federal 110 grn Barnes Triple-Shock

anyone have any experience with these cartridges in this caliber? they have a muzzle velocity of 3,500 fps.

Wow, that is up there. Personally, I've got a good friend getting ready for an antelope hunt and he's been hand loading for his 7mm. He's shooting 140 grain Nosler Accubonds behind 57 grains of IMR 4350 and at 100 yards it's bullets stacking in one hole. One of the tighest 4 shot groups I've ever seen was just a couple days ago with this setup. And it's only shooting around 3050 - 3100 fps (only - lol).

Something about trying to get the highest velocity seems to lead to more erratic flight, finnicky loads and depending on the bullet, premature expansion (I don't think that last one will be a problem with the Barnes TTX or TTSX).

Anyway, something to think about. I'd rather have a really stable, heavier bullet, lighter powder load with lower velocity than a ton of powder behind a light bullet.

Same debate goes on year after year about super fast, super light arrows vs heavier slower and more stable ones.

Good luck on your research. I'd love to hear how it comes out.

Wow, that is up there. Personally, I've got a good friend getting ready for an antelope hunt and he's been hand loading for his 7mm. He's shooting 140 grain Nosler Accubonds behind 57 grains of IMR 4350 and at 100 yards it's bullets stacking in one hole. One of the tighest 4 shot groups I've ever seen was just a couple days ago with this setup. And it's only shooting around 3050 - 3100 fps (only - lol).

Something about trying to get the highest velocity seems to lead to more erratic flight, finnicky loads and depending on the bullet, premature expansion (I don't think that last one will be a problem with the Barnes TTX or TTSX).

Anyway, something to think about. I'd rather have a really stable, heavier bullet, lighter powder load with lower velocity than a ton of powder behind a light bullet.

Same debate goes on year after year about super fast, super light arrows vs heavier slower and more stable ones.

Good luck on your research. I'd love to hear how it comes out.

Almost I dentical to my load except mine is 140grain nosler balistic tip. 64 grains of imr 4350 with a half inch at hundred when worked up load! 3200fps is average . I really like the 140 grain cause it flys great with very little wind push untill 700plus yards

Btw my 7mm is a rem 710 model witch is rem lower class model, but will out shoot many other guns just cause of the work of hand loading till its perfect..

• Like 1

Nighthawk, it's funny you mentioned your rifle as a "lower class" model. The gun my buddy was shooting clover leaves out of is a "stock" Rem 700. I've been shooting my 300 WSM with bullet holes touching out of a Savage 14 classic with the oiled walnut and medium countour barrel. These are $500 guns with decent/good optics. On my gun I've got a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6-20x50mm and he's got a Leupold Vari-X III that came on a different gun he bought.

Not one of these guns has over $900 in them and they shoot like guns people pay several thousand dollars for, with the right hand loads.

Brings to mind a bumper sticker I saw on a bad a$$ 4x4 a while back, "Built, not bought".

If anyone thinks you have to spend 3 grand on a tack driver, I'd disagree. You can build a sub MOA rifle under a grand easily if you are willing to do a little work.

One of my favorite quotes, "a slow hit is infinitely better than a fast miss..."

3500 FPS sounds a little fishy...... I know as Casey stated the 6.5mags, the 257 weatherby and the 7mm Ultramag will push those speeds, but a remington 7mag pushing those speeds doesn't seem very sound. The Rounds above have been proven to shoot those speeds, very flat and very fast.

• Like 1

You can get pretty much any cartridge to shoot a light for caliber bullet at crazy speeds but accuracy/stability usually suffers. I have shot light 6mm bullets through my 6/284 and 150gr bullets through the 300 RUM among other and they just don't shoot great. For one if you are hand loading you just can't usually get them within a mile of the lands in your rifle which in most rifles means round will be far from ideal for accuracy. Some guns don't care or may like the jump, none of mine seem to. Also, you have a 7mm take advantage of the great high BC bullets out there and the energy they product WAY out there.

I used to shoot 110gr's in my 7-08 and it was a great pig round but never tried them in my 7 Mag, both Model 700's. My favorite load in the 7mag was 120gr Barnes X bullet somewhere around 3350 if I remember correctly as measured over an Ohler Chronograph. I'd have to dig up the load info but I believe it was RL22.

I still have a handful left.

Each gun is different and the 7-08 had the factory heavy varmit barrel and shot practically everything in one hole at 100 yards with the exception of some PMC 140gr softpoints. I was bummed out over that because I wanted to use them for Chickens and Javelina when I shot Silhouette because they were about $8 or so a box compared to the Sierra 168 HPBT Match bullets I used for Turkeys and Rams.

Once I sped them up a little in the 7Mag they went from 2" to sub-MOA. Both rifles have the same twist.

Sun Devil, may I ask you; is it because you are impressed by the number 3500 fps. that you feel you should use it or do you have a specific need for it? Because, 3500 fps will mean nothing in a 7mm Rem. Mag if you don't have the barrel for it.

Cheers,

Ben

it was not the speed that I was interested in but rather how flat the trajectory was. unfortunately these rounds did not group very well in my gun. I put some 160 grain accubonds down the barrel and shot a nice tight group. back up elk gun for this season.

Well it certainly a high bc isnt what would make these bullets flat, so the speed is in fact the interesting part.

Light bullets did not shoot well in my 7mag either.