Sign in to follow this  
Chef

Marines place big order for Colt 1911 pistols

http://www.foxnews.c...aliber-pistols/

It’s been called the greatest handgun ever made, and it has barely changed sine 1911, when the legendary John Browning designed it especially for the U.S. Military.

And now, the Colt .45 M1911 is making a big comeback, now that the U.S. Marines have placed a $22.5 million order for the Connecticut-made pistols.

The gun, which has been wielded on film by John Wayne and in real life by Sgt. Alvin York and Maj. Audie Murphy, was the standard-issue sidearm in the military for decades, until it was replaced by the Beretta M9 in 1985.

"It just became an iconic part of military and American history," Gerry Dinkel, CEO and president of Colt Defense, told FoxNews.com.

The gun, one of the most successful pistols ever used at Camp Perry's National Matches, a competition known to be the main world event in artillery sports, has barely changed since it's creation. Dinkel says that shows the gun's "elegant design" just can't be improved on. And firearms experts agree.

"You can’t beat a .45 cartridge," Jack Lewis, firearms director for Cowan's Auctions, told FoxNews.com. "Some things are hard to replace," he said.

Colt Defense, based in Hartford, Conn., will supply as many as 12,000 of the 200,000 U.S. Marines with semi-automatic, tan-colored M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistols, and they will include spare parts and logistical support. The gun has long been the weapon of choice for special operations agents, thanks to its reliability and the stopping power of its massive bullets.

"I'm really glad that they're keeping it in the American economy," Lewis, who used the gun while he was in the armed forces, said. "I was quite upset when they went to the Beretta," Lewis said.

Some reports suggest Marines are not happy with their main Beretta M9s for their lack of accuracy and stopping power. With M1911's now supplying Special Ops, growing interest may lead to a better solution.

"To have the 1911 selected again for U. S. Forces 101 years after its initial introduction is just an incredible testament to the timeless design and effectiveness of the Colt 1911," Dinkel said. "This is truly a gratifying contract award."

Out of all my hand guns i love my Kimber 1911! shoots great

I wish to be buried with my 1911 and Winchester 30-30

I'm a 1911 fan, but this is just ridiculous. A ton of money dropped on garbage pistols: http://soldiersystem...ning-colt-guns/

When it's time to transition to pistol, the S has truly HTF. I want as many rounds as possible. There are much better modern pistols that hold more then eight rounds (Glock, FN, HK, etc).

I wanted a 1911 for a long time and still do just because it's such an iconic weapon. But for the same $$ you can get a really nice h&k USP. The 1911 will have to wait.

I have a Kimber also, best looking handgun I have and it shoots better than I can. I should spend more time shooting it and would if it was a rifle. :P

I am not a plastic pistol hater either have come very close a couple of times to buying and XD, just cant beat the style and feel of a 1911.

In close quarters when you may only have time for one shot. One reason why the 455 Webley was needed. In my conversation with a career solider he told me that in his first hand experience the 9mm usually took two or more shots to stop Haji. The 45 did it with one.

• Like 1

I have em all. I usually depend on my USP. My kimber 1911 is the best shooting though. Just not enough round capacity. Especially when haveing to resort to your side arm. But, glad to see the money being spent in the USA

I love my 1911's, but if I had to grab a gun for combat, it would not be any of them. I love my glocks. More reliable, I do not care what any 1911 user says. My glock is really hard to limp wrist, 1911's are not. Glocks can handle dust and dirt. 1911's can't. Well wait, if they get some nice and used 1911's they can handle some dirt. Seems tolerances at start are so tight, there is not much room for error. At the end of the day, I would have loved to see them buy a better suited .45 than the 1911 platform.

....like i posted in the other thread, you cant do this with a glock. And you can get hi cap mags for a 1911.