Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Scope Magnification for Variable Scopes

What magnification range are people generally using for big game hunting rifles and why? Anyone starting with a 6X as lowest magnification have issues with shots up close or in the thick stuff?

6power for lowest not an issue at all. I've shot fox, coyotes and so on with my scope witch is 6.5 to 20 in less then 50yard shots.

I have been using a 6x24 and 6x20 for awhile now. The only time I have had problems is having it turned up and not planning for a close shot. A couple months ago I shot a coyote and the other two with it high tailed it right at me. I shot over one of them 2 times shooting mostly at fur in the scope, at least I got the first one. :D

I have a straight 4X I used on my 22-250 for years and found that perfect for shots up to 150 yards. My other rifles have 2-7X, 3-9X and a 4-12X, all Leupolds. Of course the 4-12X looses quite a bit of eye relief at 12X and has sat on a 700 in 7Mag for the last 20 years. That may get upgraded to a Schmidt and Bender this year.

I have a straight 4X I used on my 22-250 for years and found that perfect for shots up to 150 yards. My other rifles have 2-7X, 3-9X and a 4-12X, all Leupolds. Of course the 4-12X looses quite a bit of eye relief at 12X and has sat on a 700 in 7Mag for the last 20 years. That may get upgraded to a Schmidt and Bender this year.

Schmidt and Bender + 3

I had a 6.5-20 one time... For three days. Never even shot the gun with it. At the time, I didnt care for it. Currently, I prefer the 4.5-14x44 Zeiss scopes, but a 6.5-20 could be useful to me in the future, as my closest shot over the past few years has been 296 yards, which I dialed my scope to the 8x or so marker.

Well ... some time ago, someone told me a big game rifle should start no higher than 4.5, so I went with that. However, there are some deals I have found that are 6X to start, and one of my buddies has said that he was told not to go smaller than 6X to start. I figured I'd put it out there and see what the consensus was ... so far ... the consensus is there is no consensus ... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I think more Importantly look at the variable "range". Such as, a 3-9 has a 3x range. A 6-24 a 4x range. I look for a scope with at least 5x range, like a 3-15. Best of both worlds then. They make scopes with up to 6.5x range so you can get a 4.5-30. This is a fairly new deal, but most scope makers are figuring out that people want them and they are making more and more high zoom scopes. I prefer 20 power for shots beyond 300 yards, but would never go with a 6.5-20 on a big game rifle. That's just too much power for close moving shots, and let's be honest, for every 600 yard cross canyon shot I've made, I've shot an animal running through brush at 50 yards.

I've never felt handicapped running 6.5 power on the low end. That being said, I can't remember the last time I cranked the scope up to 20X. Usually 10-12X depending on the target and distance.

The way I see it is. It's better to have then not! Just cause u have 20x doesn't meen u always have to leave it there. A simple twist in or out will fix zoom problems. But having a 9x max then trying to make a 700ytd shot. Possible but a little more difficult! The differce in high power is, with a 9x max u am for body. With 20x max or more u can place ur shot on the shoulder, behind or where ever u Want it truly makes a huge difference!!!! I have taken a deer at 620 with a 9x scope then one with 20x at 700 and it constantly surprises u how close they look at 20power!!!!! IMO scope magnification = better accuracy with ability to have better shot placement.

The way I see it is. It's better to have then not! Just cause u have 20x doesn't meen u always have to leave it there. A simple twist in or out will fix zoom problems. But having a 9x max then trying to make a 700ytd shot. Possible but a little more difficult! The differce in high power is, with a 9x max u am for body. With 20x max or more u can place ur shot on the shoulder, behind or where ever u Want it truly makes a huge difference!!!! I have taken a deer at 620 with a 9x scope then one with 20x at 700 and it constantly surprises u how close they look at 20power!!!!! IMO scope magnification = better accuracy with ability to have better shot placement.

Well said! I shot my first buck with a 3-9 Zeiss at 455 and it was last light and it was a tough shot! Not so much the 9x being hard on a coues deer at that yardage, but the lower zoom scopes have smaller objectives and that lets in less light thus colors in your scope start to blend and not show quite as much definition.

In an all-around hunting scope, its reticle is as important to me as its low-side power. Maybe even more so.

I hunted -- just once -- with a high-end 6x24 Nikon scope with a crosshair reticle. I eventually killed a mule deer with it, but only after being unable to shoot a larger buck at first light because I couldn't see the fine wires. That rifle now wears a 3-9x Leupold with a duplex reticle.

That 6x24X would be a great choice for potting an unsuspecting buck feeding at mid-day a long ways off, but it doesn't suit my style of hunting.

Bill Quimby