Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

95 or 105 vld's in .243

Has anybody had any experience loading the 95 or 105 vld's in a Remington 700 with 1/10 twist rate? I would like to try the 105's but I don't think they will stabilize. Give me some feedback with the powder you used, plus OAL. If you have ran it through a croon, I would like to know the speed and accuracy. David

We have put the 95's through two guns but have not tried the 105's for the same reason you suggest. Even with the 95's my daugheters Tikka shoots them well and my buddies Marlin does not like them. We use the 4831SC for the .243's but to see if the bullet was even a candidate we started withe the HSM (hunting shack) loads we picked up at Sportsmans (claimed 3174fps), we then took that brass to start handloads with. Don't quote me on this because I don't have the load log in front of me but I beleive we stopped around 45gr, I have seen loads a bit higher on other forums, the Tikka is not a long barrel so the diminishing point of return was around the 45 mark. As always start low and see what it takes to get the MV you are after. I doubt the 105's will shoot well based on Berger recommending 1:8 twist I have read that even the 1:9 twist barrels some guys had still did not shoot well.

Seems i keep going back to the Winchester CT 95gr bullet for the 6mm's.

Read the Speer 100gr do well because they are not a super long VLD design so they will stabilize better so you cold look at those but I have not tried them.

N160 seems to be a popular powder for the heavy VLD's with the long range & bench rest crowd also you may check that out.

AZ-i shot a lot of 95 bergers through a reminton 700 vls. they shot poorly. remington 700s have a 9 1/8 twist. still not fast enough twist for the 95 and 105 berger. they shoot great out of my 700 , 8 twist krieger. try an 87 berger they are great. more info on 6mmbr.com

I got some pretty good groups out of my Rem. 700 .243 with 95 gr Target Bergers and 42.5 grains of R22.

A nice compromise is the hornady Amax bullets I can get the 105s to stabalize and shoot really well in my 22" savage with a 9.25 twist. I'm running 42 grains of 4350 in mine with half moa accuracy at 100 yards. I have not yet Chronographed them.

I have a box of 105 grain AMax I'm looking forward to trying soon too. I have found MOA accuracy in my 22" bbl Rem 700 .243 with 95 grain Hornady SSTs behind 42 grains of W760. Off the top of my head I think the OACL is 2.660" Haven't chrono'd it yet though.

I have shot the 95 berger VLD hunting bullets through my rem 700 and used 4831SC and had a group of .3 inches at 100 yards, was hitting a gong (13 inches) at 530 yards with ease. I was .40 inches off the lands and I don't remember the velocity I was getting but was an excellent load for my rifle. It is the most accurate load I have developed in any of my handloads. I am in the process of building a .308 load to match my .243 load, just started on that project, with a rem 700 SS 5R with RL 17, looks promising but have to look at the velocity I am achieving with the RL17 load with 185 grain bergers, those bullets are amazing!!! Hopefully I will tag out this year with the .243 down in 34A and see the terminal performance with that load.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the VLDs in a 243, but am currently having some trouble getting the groupings I would like out of VLDs in my 7mm-08 which is a very similar cartridge and uses mostly the same powders. I have been loading my 243 with Hornady V-Max 58 grains, as my 243 is primarily my varmint rifle. With these I am getting very nice 5 shot groupings that touch at 100 yards. I also really like R15 powder for this load. My load data for this is:

• 43.4 gn. R15 powder
  • Federal primers
  • 58 gn Hornady V-Max

I was out at the range this morning shooting these through the chronograph since I just finalized this load. My average speed was 3555 fps.

Hope this helps