Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

Single best tip for fall turkey hunting??

Hit one driving down the interstate!

I am a really bad turkey hunter so I would like to see some suggestions also. I only seem to find them when I am fishing or varmint hunting.

Hunt their food source instead of trying to find a parking spot at a water source....Find out where they are watering then determine the nearest/predominate

food source.......Acorns, Seeds, Grasshoppers, Dandelions etc....

Best tip....................spend more time in the field than in camp.

Best strategy...........water

Best angle...............doesn't matter: straight on, sideways, 45deg, or the back door. It's all good. :)

TJ

Guillotines are freaking sweet but I would need a turkey haulter to take a little off the top.

Rat patrol get out and blast em you need to make sure you pull all the up to them

Find a large roost with a larger group of birds and set up to intercept them on the way to or from their roost. Gobblers can still spend a bunch of time strutting near a roost in the crisp fall mornings.

Don't overlook intercepting them in the evening as they return to the roost. They are a little less wary as they often walk single file focused on getting back to the roost.

+1 on the roost. I'm no expert but I found a roost and found em flying off of it in the morning and coming back to it in the evening 2-3 days in a row. There would be just a couple gobbles at daybreak then theyd fly down and be

Silent. That was the "lightbulb" that went on for me for fall turkeys.

scout and find roosting trees. if no opportunities in the morning, walk around slowly and they may be close. this is how I got mine. we missed the fly down but I was able to get in front of them on the ground.

Glass large meadows where they're feeding during the middle of the day and then try to figure how to ambush a bird once you spot it.

Bill Quimby

Should have done there home work. Find there roosts. Turkey have many roosts that they use in a two week span. If they are in the area you pretty much know what roost or water source they are going to use. Thats my hunting tip. Learned it from my Dad. Good luck. Oooo we got unit 27 turkey this year.

single best tip,

hunt them in the spring :) never mind i changed my mind stick to the fall so i dont have as hard of a time getting a spring tag...

midday morning in the meadows..... generally there will be a hill on oneside/back of the meadow.... my bet is get between them and the hillside as that is the direction they will go when leaving the meadow.....