Sign in to follow this  
HKshutr

Disappointing Marlin 44 Mag

A couple of months ago, after plenty of thought, I bought a Marlin 1894cin lever action in 44 Mag to go with my Ruger redhawk. I gathered up some of my loads and a target, and headed out to the desert. I took 3 shots, and the front sight fell out of the dovetail. I called Marlin, Nd they sent me a whole new front sight assembly of which I had to install. After installing it, I took the rifle back out. At 30 yards bench rest, I am getting ridiculous groups. Some 18" spread all over the target, some groups of 2 that are 2-3the inches apart with one flyer that sometimes doesn't even hit paper. I am loading 240gr Hornady XTP's with 24 gr of H110. My Redhawk is getting 2" groups at 30 yds. Any ideas? I'm thinking of just sending it back to Marlin for repairs.

• Like 1

The internet is rife with posts by folks who have bought new Marlin firearms made in Cerebus Capital's new plant in North Carolina. Cerebus management riffed 73 skilled workers when they bought Marlin in 2007 and moved the operation to North Carolina. Quality control in the new plant has been almost nonexistent. I have read a number of horror stories about the new NC-made firearms. Do an internet search--I guarantee that you won't like what you see. Many of the folks who returned their rifles to Marlin got them back with new problems. You might want to try to find a gunsmith that knows Marlins and see what he can do to tune your rifle. Not an ideal solution, but perhaps the most practical one...

Having a new firearm that dosen't perform is like finding out your girlfriend cheated on you.

Take a good look at the sights and you may find one that is loose or just not holding position.

Can you put a scope on it see if it shoots better?

18" @ 30 yards is heck of a lot, have you let someone else try shooting it?

Thanks for the info Ben. I will check it out. I have also heard stories of too much tolerance in the barrel. (.432 instead of. 429) . I would like to just get rid of it, but I am not willing to pawn it off on some poor unsuspecting soul. I also don't want to spend my own money on a factory defect. I guess I'll just try sending it back.

And Prdatr, I believe that if a weapon is not consistent in accuracy or function, they are not worth the box they came in. I don't have a scope mount on it yet, and my buddy shot it with the same results. I thought maybe it was my loads, but with the Redhawk results, I ruled that out. THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK GUYS!

I have found that when a rifle is shooting groups like you describe something is usually loose. Try getting some cerrosafe and make a slug about 3/8 from the end of the barrel that you can mic.

Group size can be attributed to a couple of things but the flyers indicate inconsistency like a loose sight. Try shooting some cast bullets.

Oh, I forgot to reply regarding the loose sight possibility. When I was shooting these groups, I made sure to carefully check sight stability and location. I saw no signs of the sight creeping. As for the cast bullets, the reference I made to barrel diameter in my previous comment was based on a google search that brought up a forum on bullet casting. That is where I read about greater accuracy with the. 432 bullet. I own many weapons to choose from at any given time, and this is probably a rifle I could live without, although I do enjoy my lever guns, and I am particularly fond of the 44 mag. Maybe your suggestion is better than ending up in a vicious circle of sending it back and forth to Marlin, with mediocre results.

Having a new firearm that dosen't perform is like finding out your girlfriend cheated on you.

Classic ... but I think that having a new gun malfunction is even worse!!!!!

I am having the same issues. How bad my accuracy is I don't know but some times it seems like I cannot even hit the dirt. I have a real attachment to the rifle because my brother gave it to me for my birthday.

As for the quality control I cannot comment on because my rifle, Marlin 44mag as well, was manufactured in 1974.

I needed some smith work on it, fuction related not accuracy, and some one here recommended Lawsons here in Tucson. They did a heck of a great job on it. The grumpy old smith there knew every thing there was to know about it too. Unfortunatly I did not ask about the accuracy issue because I had not gotten that far into it. Something he stated that surprised me with was that it should not have 44special rounds fired in it because it would mess up the action.

More D

I am having the same issues. How bad my accuracy is I don't know but some times it seems like I cannot even hit the dirt. I have a real attachment to the rifle because my brother gave it to me for my birthday.

As for the quality control I cannot comment on because my rifle, Marlin 44mag as well, was manufactured in 1974.

I needed some smith work on it, fuction related not accuracy, and some one here recommended Lawsons here in Tucson. They did a heck of a great job on it. The grumpy old smith there knew every thing there was to know about it too. Unfortunatly I did not ask about the accuracy issue because I had not gotten that far into it. Something he stated that surprised me with was that it should not have 44special rounds fired in it because it would mess up the action.

More D

I'm thinking "Hello Backpage", and cut your losses and buy a different rifle. I know that sucks, but sometimes it is just better for the sole.

Marlin sent me a ups return label last week, but haven't used it yet. I don't think the rifle is worth that much headache. I might call Marlin and see what they say about giving me my money back. The words "go pound sand" are coming to mind. I will probably never be happy with the rifle now.