Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

270 FPS out of a bow claiming 315 fps IBO?

I purchased my first bow about a year and a half ago and have become addicted to the sport. I have a G5 Quest hammer which claims an IBO speed around 315 fps. Today I shot through a chronograph and got a consistent speed of 270 fps. My draw lenght is 29.5 out of a max of 30 for the bow. I am also pulling the bows max at 70 lbs. I haven't added anything to the string that would slow it down. I was also just down at the pro shop the other day where we paper tuned it.

Should I be getting more more speed out of my bow than I am seeing? I'd love any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Are u shotting a fmj full length with 125 field point? U have a good draw length and don't see how that would be the issue.

The ibo speeds are kind of a scam. They shoot a 350 grain arrow at 30 inch draw length with nothing on the bow to get that speed. You will most likely never get a bow to shoot the ibo speed. I would say that 270 is right about normal for that bow.

Everything on the bow makes it shoot slower. Strip everything off the bow (sights,rest,quiver, peep sights ect) then shoot it and you might get the ibo speed. You can call g5 direct and ask them how they aquired the ibo speed they will most likely tell you the same thing. I shoot a mathews z7 Extreme and the ibo is 330 i shoot around 306. That's just how it works. If you want a fast bow look into the PSE's with a shorter brace hieght.

350 grain arrows plus 125 grain head? It would be very hard to get a 29 and 1/2 inch arrow with a 125 grain head to weigh 350. When they say 350 grain arrow, they mean 350 including the tip. I shoot a bow that says IBO of 310 and I shoot right around 270. Totally normal. Funny thing is, if you read most company's warranty, if you shoot the same set up as they do when they get the IBO, you will void your warranty. Most bows want you to shoot atleast 5.5 grains of arrow per pound of pull weight. i.e 70 lbs should shoot atleast a 385 grain arrow.

350 grain arrows plus 125 grain head? It would be very hard to get a 29 and 1/2 inch arrow with a 125 grain head to weigh 350. When they say 350 grain arrow, they mean 350 including the tip. I shoot a bow that says IBO of 310 and I shoot right around 270. Totally normal. Funny thing is, if you read most company's warranty, if you shoot the same set up as they do when they get the IBO, you will void your warranty. Most bows want you to shoot atleast 5.5 grains of arrow per pound of pull weight. i.e 70 lbs should shoot atleast a 385 grain arrow.

Thanks for the info! I wasn't including the field point. I threw the arrow with tip on my loading scale and got a weight of 430.7

Thanks all, I really appreciate the info! I recently got a chronogragh to add to my reloading tools collection. I decided to check my bow speed this morning expecting something around 290-300 fps. Sounds like the 270 I am seeing is pretty normal.

I'll be doing my first archery coues hunt here in a few weeks and I'm just trying to fine tune and prepare as much as possible. You advice helps a ton!

checked my Athens the other day and was shooting like 291 at roughly 64# so not all bow companies lie.. im afraid my bow might shoot that 330+ that they advertise. (: me im just happy with killin speed and a super quiet bow. 270 should get the job done for you i would say.. ;)

You will never get the mileage advertised on your car / truck either.

You will never get the mileage advertised on your car / truck either.

+1 on diesels the max HP, Torque, and MPG are taken in a lab under "perfect" conditions such as humidity, air temp, air speed through intercooler, radiator, perfect fuel temp among many other controlled variables to obtain highest values they can within the ECM parameters.

you can pick up some speed with tuning, reduce arrow weight, change fletchings and spend time with a chrono and the TRU Accelerator balls. I picked up 5 fps going to Blazers, and another 5 when I got the TRU balls in the right spot on the string. Had a friend help me, he's the one with the brains, to get the tuning correct before I started messing with the other stuff.

Hoyt Vectrix, 30 inch draw set at 70 lbs and I am getting 285 - 290 fps after all the work.