Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk

Leupold turret review

I can vouch first hand for what Coues7 is saying. When I shot my antelope last year (roughly 2000 feet higher than Tucson) it took me 3 shots to put the goat down, at a measly 370 yards. Elevation plays a big role.

I have Kenton Turrets on my Ruger .300 winmag and they are awesome. I only use this rifle for hunting Coues down south at roughly the same time of year/elevation/temp. so it's not a problem. I am setting up another rifle and I will put the turrets on it as well. Coues7 is correct though, if you travel to different elevations/temperatures then either several turrets or use the MOA calculations would be the best way to go. I don't want to think about anything when I am huinting Coues, just dial yardage and squeeeezzze!

I can vouch first hand for what Coues7 is saying. When I shot my antelope last year (roughly 2000 feet higher than Tucson) it took me 3 shots to put the goat down, at a measly 370 yards. Elevation plays a big role.

only 3 shots??? hahahaha!

A turret with MOA is superior in my opinion. The fact is, even if you are at the same elevation all the time, other variables will change. Temp, humidity, etc. These may or may not make a difference depending on the yardage, and the point of impact changes exponentially the farther out you go. I've used reticle dots and Leupold turrets based on a specific load, and the magic number is about 600 yards. Meaning, if you're under that distance a preset turret or reticle dot will generally get you there unless conditions are drastically different. After that, you better have everything perfect because your imput data becomes very important. There's a reason military snipers don't use premade turrets ;). I currently have M1 knobs on my Luepold, and feel it's the best way to go for long distance. For those who are saying they don't want to think about anything or do calcs - you don't have to. Make up a couple different "cheat sheets" for the elevation you will be at with a few different temps and tape the closest one to your stock. If you have time and it's a long poke, take a minute to do a calc and dial exact. If it's a REAL quick shot, it's pretty easy to have yardages in moa in your head if you've practiced at all and dial accordingly and I generally walk around with my scope dialed for about 250 yards anyways. It's a lot simpler than you think.

There are plenty on here more experienced than me, but that's my take on it.

• Like 1

Also is very important that when you hunt a "new" area or on a different elevation/temperature, you place a target at a diff. distances and find out how your rifle is shooting before you start hunting.

I don't fully understand MOA but I would love to know it! Anything that would help in the freild for more accuracy I am game for! I'm not narrow minded and I would like to hear more about it

I don't fully understand MOA but I would love to know it! Anything that would help in the freild for more accuracy I am game for! I'm not narrow minded and I would like to hear more about it

MOA stands for Minute Of Angle, and is a measure of the correction used when adjusting your scope for different distance. When Luepold made your target turret, they calculated the drop of your bullet at different distances from the ballistics info you gave them and coverted it into MOA, then used that information to engrave the yardage on your turret based on how many "clicks per minute" of adjustment your scope uses. The term minute means 1/60th, literally from 60 minutes on a clock in an hour (1 minute = 1/60th of an hour). And the angle comes from the angle that you adjust the rifle to hit your mark at a certain distance. So one minute of angle is 1/60th of a degree, which translates to just over 1" at 100 yards. Here is a video that explains it fairly well - I always learn better visually anyways.

• Like 2

Good brief explanation!

But i feel left out all of my scopes are in mils :( 1" ~ 0.3 mils @ 100 :D

A turret with MOA is superior in my opinion. The fact is, even if you are at the same elevation all the time, other variables will change. Temp, humidity, etc. These may or may not make a difference depending on the yardage, and the point of impact changes exponentially the farther out you go. I've used reticle dots and Leupold turrets based on a specific load, and the magic number is about 600 yards. Meaning, if you're under that distance a preset turret or reticle dot will generally get you there unless conditions are drastically different. After that, you better have everything perfect because your imput data becomes very important. There's a reason military snipers don't use premade turrets ;). I currently have M1 knobs on my Luepold, and feel it's the best way to go for long distance. For those who are saying they don't want to think about anything or do calcs - you don't have to. Make up a couple different "cheat sheets" for the elevation you will be at with a few different temps and tape the closest one to your stock. If you have time and it's a long poke, take a minute to do a calc and dial exact. If it's a REAL quick shot, it's pretty easy to have yardages in moa in your head if you've practiced at all and dial accordingly and I generally walk around with my scope dialed for about 250 yards anyways. It's a lot simpler than you think.

Ok so get the concept. That means u have to a have a different drop chart for every temp and elecations? Cause bullet drop will constantly change granted those factors . There for ur MOA at 600yrds at 2000elv with differ from 600yrds at 8000. So the question to you is how can u find out all those balistic charts? Rcbs software?

Ok so get the concept. That means u have to a have a different drop chart for every temp and elecations? Cause bullet drop will constantly change granted those factors . There for ur MOA at 600yrds at 2000elv with differ from 600yrds at 8000. So the question to you is how can u find out all those balistic charts? Rcbs software?

This web site link has worked fairly well for my needs: http://biggameinfo.com/index.aspx?page=%2fbalcalc.ascx

Get a ballistic app for your phone and input the different variable or go to the Vortex site where they have a very easy one to use that you can save/print profiles on. Coues Sniper is correct the drops are not that difficult to remember, the only thing that can be tough is the inclination (up or down) which is hard to measure without an ADI/ACI, range finder that calculates, or smart phone that calculates. The tough thing is going to be learning windage calculations which are much easier with a card. Generally for wind you memorize or print the variable at 10mph and then use fractions of this for actual conditions. 5 mph = 1/2x, 15mph = 1.5x, etc.

I ran through the turret set up with 3 different rifles and I really believe it works really well out to 600-700yds. Temp and altitude were not a huge factor and temp drop offset elevation increase to a degree. about + or - 2k ft after that it can move a lot.

I have said in other posts I use Shooter it is worth the $9.99, you can save profiles and email drop cards to yourself for printing. It also utilizes your phones inclinometer and other features if needed.

Thanks for taking the time to give the review. I was on their site over the weekend looking to see if turrets could be added to an early 90's VXll.

I didn't get a chance to call them today, too busy at work. Hoping to get some time to call them tomorrow. Taping clicks worked well for me when I shot competition and had time to do it but turrets will be my next modification to my rig.

After 20 years I think it is ready for something. To each his own.