dqinphx

36B Hunt starting Nov 30th

I drew a 36B Nov 30-Dec 9 tag and was doing some research on this area. Its new to me and I'm wondering if you guys camp within the unit or stay in local hotels to avoid potential contact with illegals and smugglers? I know it can be a problem and am a little concerned about camping alone in this area. Anyone else in this hunt and want to set camp together? There seems to be safety in numbers.

Thanks.

• Like 1

If you can camp with others, it helps. I have seen lots of illegals down there and even had a few come into camp at night. You might want to keep border patrols number in your phone and I always keep a sidearm on me. I know of a few people who stay at the rv resort in arivaca.

I wouldn't camp alone, like the others have said. But no matter what, keep a sidearm close by. You never know what/who is going to come into your camp. We're staying in the campground on Ruby Rd. just West of Pena Blanca Lake. There are usually quite a few hunters staying right there, so if you come alone, you should be safe camping there with the rest of us.

Wouldn't camp alone in any unit south of I-10.

The smugglers want nothing to do with you or your camp (while you're there). They know you're armed. They have a product to deliver and the last thing they want is a shoot out. The immigrants might rummage your camp depending on how desperate they are. Happened to me 3 years ago. 2 guys went through our rations and took 2 Pepsi's and our candy bars. We drove up on them and they waved at us and walked right to the BP station 300 yds down the road. Quite a sight. But I still maintain vigilance and use discretion. You wont see me wearing blaze orange down there and I crap with my pistol in hand. Lock your stuff up, camp in a group for comfort and leave enough beer cans on the ground so a mouse cant go undetected.

I appreciate all the advice. Thank you. I wasn't too sure about camping alone but will have my .40 with me.

Thanks for the help.

And if you are lucky like I was, people even leave bails of stuff to burn in your campfire, smells funny but burns great!

cam9-08001.jpg

I even seen them carrying it to people's campsites!

P1010656.jpg

They are great people!

Hahaha that's so funny Az Packhorse!

Yes, it's a must to camp with others. Even then you never know. Just to stay alerted at night I set up a remote driveway monitor, motion detector which worked really well. At least that way you have some warning if someone is in camp. You can get these at Harbor Freight. Hope this helps and good luck on that hunt! By all means, Be Careful!

I camped up on a well used knoll along with a few others who decided to come in with their RV's and generators, in the middle of the night. It may have been off the Ruby Rd, we were south of town and not far from the turnoff to the mud hole they call a lake.

Just south of us was a small mountain with what looked like a cell phone dish on it that I hunted near one day. I was walking the ridge on the hill south of it and followed a small trail into a couple of oaks.

Low and behold tucked up underneath of a large oak were sleeping bags, coleman stove, canned food galore lots of variety magazines like you see at the checkout in the supermarket (only in spanish) and a nice flat bench for sleeping on cut into the side of the mountain. Sure glad it was unihabitated when I walked in on it.

A few miles further south there is a large body of water with some buildings on it and IIRC it is set up for tourists. I sat overlooking a tree filled canyon a ways to the east one morning as the sunrose hoping to see some deer when I heard a loud sneeze from a woman which came from amongst the trees.

I did hear a few helios each night buzz our camp and saw lots of BP vehicles whizzing up and down the roads each day but though it was strange they never came into camp to talk to us or the others camped nearby. Just keep your witts about you and leave the beer back in town for after the hunt is over. I'll be back again this year on the second hunt, not sure where I'll hunt this year but will not be hunting around either of those two areas and will be looking to hunt some newer areas probably further east but need to do some scouting.

From what I saw be self reliant and don't expect much from BP.

You have the same hunt I do. If you are completely alone, with no drinking and no loud music you're welcome to join me.

I hunt 36B by choice and I always camped by myself and had no issues. The BP has beefed up operations and the result is obvious. A sidearm, though, is a MUST!

Beautiful unit to hunt in!

Ben

Who's leaving BEER back in town? That's never a good idea in 36B, after that terrain your going to need a 30 PACK daily !!! ONE HAND ON YOUR BEER THE OTHER ON YOUR SIDE ARM! Good luck and I might see you down there I have the same tag.