Well we finally did it, details to follow tonight.

Edit

A very good friend and I left for our trip on Thursday night after telling our wives and kidos good by. We headed up late that evening night trying to find a spot to camp near the area, but as we kept looking all of the roads were closed due to the fires. We finally found a spot and had pitched camped. With a warm night and a hot breeze through the night sleeping on our cots under the stars I hardly slept at all. When the alarms went off 3am I just felt like I had just fallen asleep. After taking down camp we drove to our spot and started hiking in the dark for what seemed like forever.

We set up are binos and tripods at 5am and about 7am my buddy spotted a stump which looked like a bear, I also glassed the same stump and thought the same thing. The deal was whoever spotted a bear, got the shot as the other person was the spotter. Being in my buddies spot I was thinking I would let him shoot either way. He has volunteered his time to many of us friends helping out us out on our hunts. He is a very humbled guy and works hard for everything he has. This is a guy that has spotted 6 lions, missed a few and has never seen or nor had a chance to shoot a bear but always wanted to.

All the sudden I hear bear, bear, bear, and I turned to look over to the direction of that stump we seen earlier. Sure enough long behold a nice bear about 50 yards below the stump. His skills paid off spotting this nice boar without his binos in the pears chowing down. As I scrambled to get my binos together so he could take the shot I was saying, shoot him, shoot him, and as soon as I got the bear in sight I hear boom! With a perfect shot I see the bear rolling down the steep hill with one big death growl from the bear! I turned and said, "bear down on opening day". We both gave hand shakes and said great job. The hard part has just began. With being well over the 100 degree mark, this was a tough pack out. We had 3 friends show up packs on backs helping pack everything out. We both could hardly move this guy, guessing the weight to be 350+ lbs.

We stopped by GF and the bioligist said he was big bear just by the size of his head. Very awesome hunt hands down!

Im 250lbs, 6' just to reference. This is me in the pic, I don't have a pic with my buddy with the bear, but when I do I'll post it.

Edit

Chad and his Bear

post-2686-0-96357400-1344661314_thumb.jpg

post-2686-0-91934100-1344656792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Huge congrats to you guys and thanks for the story and pic!!! JIM>

Congrats Chad! I saw the pic and video you and Devon sent me!! Sounds like you guys took and made an excellent shot.

Great bear way to make it happen guys super cool!

This is a very nice bear. Congratulations and thanks for taking us along. :)

TJ

Great job! What unit and how far was the shot?