Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

Disappointing Load Results 7mm-08

Hi All-

A couple months ago I purchased a Tikka T3 Stainless 7mm-08. My wife is starting to show some interest in hunting and my oldest son will be of hunting age in a couple of years. I believe this will be a great elk/deer rifle for them. However, I have been working up some loads and thus far have been pretty disappointed with the results. All rounds have been loaded with:

• Berger 140 VLDs
  • Federal Primers
  • R15 powder

My COAL is 2.183, which is my magazine max. My lands length is 2.280.

Thus far I have tried seven different powder weights and have yet to have a grouping I like. My personal definition of a good grouping is 3 bullets touching at 100 yards. This morning I was at the Rio Salado range and shot the following powder weights:

• 40.5 gr
  • 41 gr
  • 41.5 gr
  • 42 gr

The groupings for these weights at 100 yards are shown below:

R15 40.5.pdfR15 42.pdfR15 41.pdfR15 41.5.pdf

I have also previously tried the following powder weights with similar results:

• 39 gr
  • 39.5 gr
  • 40 gr

Has anyone found a load they like in this caliber/bullet/rifle?

Thanks!

Hey, take my 7-08 and find a load for mine that touch 3. Let me know when it's done. I just need it done by Nov 1.

Hey, take my 7-08 and find a load for mine that touch 3. Let me know when it's done. I just need it done by Nov 1.

Quit making excuses and come over. We'll get it there.

Lol!! If I didn't have so many hunts I would. :)

If I remember right my factory nosler accubonds group very well.

If I were you I would shoot groups at 200 with those . They might not settle in until then.

My 257wby didn't shoot the vld's worth a hoot

You might need to be closer to the lands with the Bergers. You might have to use it as a single shot if you are determined to use the VLD's.

I don't have any experience with the Bergers but from what I've read they work best jammed into the lands. Since your magazine length won't allow that, you might try a different bullet

You might need to be closer to the lands with the Bergers. You might have to use it as a single shot if you are determined to use the VLD's.

Any particular bullet you are partial to or might recommend?

We shoot a lot on nosler bullets with great success .. The balistic tip and ct seem to work great for our 7mm 300ultra and 2250.

I haven't shot a 7-08 in years, but when I did, IMR-4064 was the go to powder. I have never used RE-15 powder. With no option on cartridge overall length, you might try one of the Barnes Bullets, they are the only ones I've used that shot that well that far off the lands. The other option is to have the cartridge in the chamber close to the lands and then the other ones in the mag in case of a follow up shot if needed. Just my .02.

I shoot the Bergers out of of a t3. Try backing the Bergers off the lands and jumping them in. My 270wsm like the bullet touching the lands, however my brothers 300wsm in the t3 likes the bullets jumped. Once you find what length your gun likes in those Bergers, you'll touch em all. It's a tedious process, but so worth it!