Shawn

Use of a freezer in sept Show Low/Heber area

I got drawn sep. archery bull for unit 3c/3a with my dad and a buddy, feel very fortunate 1st elk tag in 6 years. Was wondering if anybody new of some place to freeze some meet when/if we get 1? We will have it packaged just need to get it freezed while we finish the hunt. I called game processors in the area and asked if they rent freezer space and was told no. Thanks and good luck to all this season!

There's an outfit out of queen creek that sets up a refridgerated trailer in Forest Lakes. Last year I had them do my elk, they did an excellent job, I would highly recommend them. If I remember right it's Millers Southwestern Processing. They had a fee for hanging quarters in their fridge truck and you just pick them up down in Queen Creek at the end of the season and you can process them yourself. I shot mine in the morning and it was 10 am by the time I got it loaded, the only thing I wasn't happy with was the kid running the set up had just learned to skin, I think my elk was his third. It was 81 degrees out and I wanted it in the trailer asap, so I skinned it myself using their hoist, he was really a nice kid, just didn't have enough experience to get it skinned quickly.

• Like 1

If that's the same kid, he'll freeze it for ya, for a price that is, lol. I had my hunting buddies use his freezer then they took them home to Cali. I forget his name, but he always has a big ol chaw of dip in his lip, just tip him and he'll hook you up.

There's an outfit out of queen creek that sets up a refridgerated trailer in Forest Lakes. Last year I had them do my elk, they did an excellent job, I would highly recommend them. If I remember right it's Millers Southwestern Processing. They had a fee for hanging quarters in their fridge truck and you just pick them up down in Queen Creek at the end of the season and you can process them yourself. I shot mine in the morning and it was 10 am by the time I got it loaded, the only thing I wasn't happy with was the kid running the set up had just learned to skin, I think my elk was his third. It was 81 degrees out and I wanted it in the trailer asap, so I skinned it myself using their hoist, he was really a nice kid, just didn't have enough experience to get it skinned quickly.

If that's the same kid, he'll freeze it for ya, for a price that is, lol. I had my hunting buddies use his freezer then they took them home to Cali. I forget his name, but he always has a big ol chaw of dip in his lip, just tip him and he'll hook you up.

Met the same kid,he said it was a sink or swim experience but he had a really good attitude about it all.Overall they did a good job,I picked it up in Queen Creek.

this thread needs to get nuked. flatlanders that never had an elk on the ground in september.

Malapai meat packing 928 536 7161

Porter Mtn meat packing 928 368 4444

White Mountain meat packing John Spears 928 537 2269

get your bull there bagged or whole and it will be processed, frozen good and solid for you to pick up in 7-14 days. processed down to 1lb packages if you show some respect.

dead elk = processing fee. you do have to gut and skin it your own d self!

lee

this thread needs to get nuked. flatlanders that never had an elk on the ground in september.

get your bull there bagged or whole and it will be processed, frozen good and solid for you to pick up in 7-14 days. processed down to 1lb packages if you show some respect.

lee

We have had elk on the ground in Sep. pal and have never had someone process it! We have had to take the round trip before and another time had a friend that camped for part of the hunt and took 1 back. Wanted to know if there was a place I could freeze it, willing to pay rather than have to take it back home to drop it off. Thanks to everyone that helped!

lee

Thanks for your comment LEE. I thought this thread was just fine until you piped up. I've had a LOT of critters down in Aug, Sept. I also was in dental school when I shot my bull last year, on the last morning, I literally had to unload my camping gear to get the quarters in the truck as I was on my way out of there that day. I was just speaking of my experience with a certain processor that just so happens to be on the edge of 3C that will hang a bull for you for a fee.

Dead elk does not = processing fee, you actually can cut it yourself, even if you use Millers, that's what I was trying to tell them in this thread. You would think a mountain man like yourself would know how to cut up an elk? Thanks again for your input.

I was thinking if you have a trailer, and a generator you could probably pickup a chest freezer off Craigslist for $100. You could have a working freezer in camp, Take Care, JLG.

lee

Now it needs to be nuked! Way to sound like a complete redneck recluse, "flatlanders" dumbest thing I hear when I am up on the Rim where I have property and pay taxes and contribute to the economy big time. As a matter of fact most of the people up north are happy to have as many visitors as possible to help out, it keeps the "out of business" signs out of the windows. I think the decent folks also call it manners to treat everyone like a welcome guest. Sorry I will get off my box now, this is one of those rare things that irritates me to no end.

Shawn, you can also take an empty chest and then get dry ice in town from Safeway or another grocery store. Dry ice will freeze the meat hard as a rock overnight. When you get it home there will be no water and no mess. If this doesn't work PM me, I have a small garage freezer I could get you access to in Pinetop. Should be enough room for one elk if it is deboned, if you quarter it could be a little tight.

lee

Now it needs to be nuked! Way to sound like a complete redneck recluse, "flatlanders" dumbest thing I hear when I am up on the Rim where I have property and pay taxes and contribute to the economy big time. As a matter of fact most of the people up north are happy to have as many visitors as possible to help out, it keeps the "out of business" signs out of the windows. I think the decent folks also call it manners to treat everyone like a welcome guest. Sorry I will get off my box now, this is one of those rare things that irritates me to no end.

Shawn, you can also take an empty chest and then get dry ice in town from Safeway or another grocery store. Dry ice will freeze the meat hard as a rock overnight. When you get it home there will be no water and no mess. If this doesn't work PM me, I have a small garage freezer I could get you access to in Pinetop. Should be enough room for one elk if it is deboned, if you quarter it could be a little tight.

I think I will try the dry ice. Have been thinking about trying that for a while for Aug. deer hunts. Thanks for the info and the offer, really appreciate it. Thanks for all the suggestions fellas!

lee

Thats pertty entertainin dere hillbilly.