Sign in to follow this  
huntjunkie

7mm effective range

For those of you that have 7mm's, what is your effective range for long range shooting? Specifically Coues hunting? What is your set up?

Remington Sendero, 6-20x44 vortex viper, 162 gn hornady SST at 3050 fps. Max effective range of the round is just over 1000 yds (1700 fps and 1060 ft lbs). I like to keep shots at or under 600.

What bullet, what velocity and to a lessor extent, what are the environmental conditions?

Typically there is a minimum velocity that you would like the bullet betraveling upon impact. For an example Bergers should be going 1,800 fps for proper expansion. If your just shooting paper, you will need to find the velicity that the bullet becomes unstable which can be when the bullet drops below the speed of sound.

You should download the App "Strelok" to your phone. I have found it to be a great app. (free on Android, apple will probably charge you). Once you know your muzzle velocity you can plug it in along with your other conditions and gauge your velocities at various distances. If you know what you bullet requires for proper expansion, this will give you a good gauge of effective range. Of course you still have to provide the accuracy.

You should download the App "Strelok" to your phone. I have found it to be a great app. (free on Android, apple will probably charge you). Once you know your muzzle velocity you can plug it in along with your other conditions and gauge your velocities at various distances. If you know what you bullet requires for proper expansion, this will give you a good gauge of effective range. Of course you still have to provide the accuracy.

If you don't know the ballistics for your specific load, you could get a general idea by plugging in the data from some good factory ammo.

IMO I think what ever range u can be accurate to. Some many people get caught up on ftlbs witch is important , but with good shot placement ull get em down. My 7mm only claims to have 987ft lbs at 1000yrds but I plan on putting it to the test. A buddy off my smoked a white at 740 with 22-250. Granted it didn't knock it off it's feet like a 300grain 338 would be got the job done! I strongly beleive that accuracy will far surpass ft lbs.. Ex. A 9mm pistol witch a lot of us trust our safety of our lifes on only has 1300vol with like 400ft lbs but would kill just about anything with a good shot. My 2cents

7mm 140grain bt 3198 muzzle

Longest kill shot coues 700,620 ,550,

420on Mullie

700yrd deer ran 20 yards left the 20 back to where he was then crashed in a bush dead. Energy at that range was 1444aprox but shot was just behind front shoulder mid body. On my dec hunt I plan on taking any shot out to 1k granted the wind is not crazy(15mph plus)

That is good info! Thanks nighthawk! Ya never know how long the shot will be but I want to be prepared and feel confident in making an ethical shot.

168gr Berger VLD @ 3000fps in the RM, 180gr VLD @ 3050 fps in the Dakota

If conditions were right with low/no wind out to 700yds but for the most part 500yds and in I am very comfortable. I still like to practice and shoot at 1K but even on still targets there is a lot going on once you pass that 700 yd mark. It seems to close the distance to 500 yds is usually doable anyway.

• Like 1

I'm shooting a Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classic with a BOSS, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5x20 Leupold VX3 with the elevation turret.

Reloads are Winchester Case, 63 grs. of IMR 4350 ( loads are from an old Sierra Book) 150 gr. Nosler Silvertips, Rem 9 1/2 Magnum Primer. Just over 3100fps at the muzzle.

Just got back from Three Points Range today, no issues with head shots on the Rams (500meters or 546 yards) It's all about the scope for me and not to mention the Caldwell Lead Sled. I also have turrets on my sons 7mm08 and can also make the same shots with it. If you're not familiar with Turrets, you set them up for a certain range, it eliminates having to hold high and praying your Hail Mary shots connect. I set mine up with "0" being 100 yards, turn the dial to 1.5 and that's my 200yard all the way up to 600 yards.

I couldn't do it without the scope and there's not as many head shots with just a bi-pod over the Lead Sled. I also consider I'm at the range on a cement bench, 0 wind and no Buck Fever, I have shot one Coues at just over 600 yards but that's not what I prefer. I shoot Partitions for Elk. Good Luck B)

• Like 3

IMO I think what ever range u can be accurate to. Some many people get caught up on ftlbs witch is important , but with good shot placement ull get em down. My 7mm only claims to have 987ft lbs at 1000yrds but I plan on putting it to the test. A buddy off my smoked a white at 740 with 22-250. Granted it didn't knock it off it's feet like a 300grain 338 would be got the job done! I strongly beleive that accuracy will far surpass ft lbs.. Ex. A 9mm pistol witch a lot of us trust our safety of our lifes on only has 1300vol with like 400ft lbs but would kill just about anything with a good shot. My 2cents

+1

huntjunk- i have 5 daughters. i am ahead so far. my 7mm will shoot .5 moa . i have shot it out to 1000 yards. what rifle and scope are you shooting. what do the groups at 500 yards look like? roninflag

I'm getting my gun set up. I have 7mm rem 700. I'm most likely going to get a vortex viper scope. Working on a load for it right now. New to the long range shooting. Mostly an archery guy. I have a dec coues hunt and need to get my gun dialed in. Appreciate all the help do far. Any other advise is welcome.

huntjunk- i have 5 daughters. i am ahead so far. my 7mm will shoot .5 moa . i have shot it out to 1000 yards. what rifle and scope are you shooting. what do the groups at 500 yards look like? roninflag

You'll always be ahead. Lol I'm not going for 5.

I'm getting my gun set up. I have 7mm rem 700. I'm most likely going to get a vortex viper scope. Working on a load for it right now. New to the long range shooting. Mostly an archery guy. I have a dec coues hunt and need to get my gun dialed in. Appreciate all the help do far. Any other advise is welcome.

What unit?