Sign in to follow this  
Millhouse

Coconino County Elk Hunters

Just wanted to pass this along (from the Coconino National Forest website):

NOTICE TO HUNTERS

• Parking or reserving camping locations by leaving trailers, motorhomes, tents and other property is prohibited. Property left on the forest unoccupied is considered abandon after 72 hours. Title 36 Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) 261.10(e)
  • Tree stands are permitted if they do not cause resource damage i.e. cutting limbs, putting nails and bolts into trees or any other permanent alteration/injury to trees or surrounding vegetation. Tree stands need to be removed after daily use. Tree stands left unoccupied for any extended period of time is prohibited. Title 36 CFR 261.9(a) and 262.13.
  • Currently there is no specific regulation regarding game cameras left in the forest. The FS does are not recommend leaving any property in the forest. Game cameras have been frequently reported stolen and after 72 hours they are considered abandon property.

Yep ... nothing like getting to that great camping spot you've picked out for your hunt only to find that some group of guys with a hunt in a couple of weeks have parked their trailers there, locked them up, and blocked the access in. Ran into that a couple of years ago on my son's Bull Elk hunt ... arrived early to our primary site during a downpour only to find it covered in unoccupied trailers ... when our secondary spot was in the same condition it was all I could do to keep my composure. I checked those sites several times during the hunt ... unoccupied for the whole week. If I'd have known when their hunt was, I'd have been temped to pay them a visit to discuss etiquitte. Probably a good thing I didn't know ......

The problem I have is, sure, I left our trailer in a spot on Sunday afternoon so I could come back up on Wednesday after work. When I got there at one in the morning ready to sleep, I find I have a written warning that says I am in violation of the 72 hour rule, dated on Sunday an hour after I left. I only see the forst service trucks driving around on the weekends up there, and never on Thursday or Friday when I'm up there all day. We are going to have problems as it gets closer to the Sept 14th opener and I'm out from before sun up to way after sun down for most of the month!

This is a huge problem no doubt, maybe some guys dont want to have to tow thier trailers up from the valley more than once during scouting/hunting. However then they should leave it at a storage place like most people do, just pay the 40 bucks to have a secure place to store it.

It is annoying to say the least that camp sites are "Claimed" by these who leave thier trailers/tents set-up and leave to go home. The same problem exist on watertanks where people place thier stands or blinds and think they "Own " that spot because thier stuff is there.

One year in 7west we were elk hunting, went up 2 days early to find a tent in the spot we came up early to camp at. The only thing there was the 2 man dome tent. I suspected they left it to claim the spot, so I looked inside the tent and sure enough there was a rock in the middle of the tent to hold it there. So we just left the tent and setup our camp anyway.

The next day the owner showed up, he began to remove his tent. I went up to him, introduced myself and told him he was welcome to camp with us.

Of course he did not want to do that....

So my advice is this, If you find a spot you like. And nobody is actually camping, then just go ahead and camp there. If they show up, welcome them to stay. If they become angry, go ahead and call the sherrif/forest service.

Public Land is PUBLIC LAND, we all pay our taxes to have use of the land. It is UNETHICAL to "Claim" some spot that belongs to us all, weather it be a camp spot or a watertank.

--just my two cents--

Game cameras are considered abandoned after 72 hours???? Surely the Forest Service gests!!!.

How about if you don't see a forest service truck drive down a legal road within 72 hours they no longer have authority with their goofy rules of mismanagement? The USFS is out of control and we need to get rid of Obama and Salazar to reclaim what we all used to own!!

• Like 3

So, if I check my game cam every 72 hours but they don't see me check it, do they still feel they are entitled to steal it. Same goes for my camp. If I leave and return under the cover of darkness, but they only drive by during the day, it may look like nobody had been in camp for 72 hours. Will they feel justified in stealing that?

Next question, does this door swing two ways? If they leave a road grader parked in the woods for more than 72 hours, has it been abandoned?

Lastly, if property has been abandoned, does it become fair game for anybody, like garbage put out on the curb, or is it only the agents of the government that are justified in committing theft?

• Like 2

This will be a big problem this hunting season with all the road closures and limited camping spots within there new camping rules ( next to roads that are ON there map and so many feet away from it) I'm sure thats why they are inforcing it now, so hunters dont leave trailers / tents unattended days before there hunt starts. It will be a mad house out there trying to find a camp spot (at least in area i will be hunting as its very limited on camping spots) good luck to all and remember just keep cool and open minded you mite meet a new hunting friend.....

Game cameras are considered abandoned after 72 hours???? Surely the Forest Service gests!!!.

The USFS is out of control and we need to get rid of Obama and Salazar to reclaim what we all used to own!!

Agreed. Problem is they are like a boulder going downhill and it is going to take a lot of time, effort and money to reverse it.

This is a huge problem no doubt, maybe some guys dont want to have to tow thier trailers up from the valley more than once during scouting/hunting. However then they should leave it at a storage place like most people do, just pay the 40 bucks to have a secure place to store it.

It is annoying to say the least that camp sites are "Claimed" by these who leave thier trailers/tents set-up and leave to go home. The same problem exist on watertanks where people place thier stands or blinds and think they "Own " that spot because thier stuff is there.

One year in 7west we were elk hunting, went up 2 days early to find a tent in the spot we came up early to camp at. The only thing there was the 2 man dome tent. I suspected they left it to claim the spot, so I looked inside the tent and sure enough there was a rock in the middle of the tent to hold it there. So we just left the tent and setup our camp anyway.

The next day the owner showed up, he began to remove his tent. I went up to him, introduced myself and told him he was welcome to camp with us.

So my advice is this, If you find a spot you like. And nobody is actually camping, then just go ahead and camp there. If they show up, welcome them to stay. If they become angry, go ahead and call the sherrif/forest service.

Public Land is PUBLIC LAND, we all pay our taxes to have use of the land. It is UNETHICAL to "Claim" some spot that belongs to us all, weather it be a camp spot or a watertank.

--just my two cents--

Unethical? Agreed that it is indeed PUBLIC land but if i take time, energy, and considerable resources to scout, put up trail cameras and pay my hard earned money for a tag, and, in that time find a nice spot for a two week elk hunt and a great water hole or wallow or trail, and put my camera up, and take the courteousy to seriously look about for other cams and stands, or sit and watch from a distance, and determine good huntable wildlife in the area and erect a ground blind or pop-up or tree stand, i would expect others to recognize this especially if those cams and stands/blinds have been up for two weeksor better, is it ethical for some other hunter who just wondered up that weekend or morning or night before the hunt to slide in and hunt that tank or camp in that spot ?

Unethical? Agreed that it is indeed PUBLIC land but if i take time, energy, and considerable resources to scout, put up trail cameras and pay my hard earned money for a tag, and, in that time find a nice spot for a two week elk hunt and a great water hole or wallow or trail, and put my camera up, and take the courteousy to seriously look about for other cams and stands, or sit and watch from a distance, and determine good huntable wildlife in the area and erect a ground blind or pop-up or tree stand, i would expect others to recognize this especially if those cams and stands/blinds have been up for two weeksor better, is it ethical for some other hunter who just wondered up that weekend or morning or night before the hunt to slide in and hunt that tank or camp in that spot ?

He has just as much right to hunt there as you do or anyone else. The great thing about public land is it's available to everyone to legally use, unfortunately it can also be the worst thing about it as well. When I put in the work, I make sure I'm there first. If not better have a backup plan...

• Like 1

"Unethical? Agreed that it is indeed PUBLIC land but if i take time, energy, and considerable resources to scout, put up trail cameras and pay my hard earned money for a tag, and, in that time find a nice spot for a two week elk hunt and a great water hole or wallow or trail, and put my camera up, and take the courteousy to seriously look about for other cams and stands, or sit and watch from a distance, and determine good huntable wildlife in the area and erect a ground blind or pop-up or tree stand, i would expect others to recognize this especially if those cams and stands/blinds have been up for two weeksor better, is it ethical for some other hunter who just wondered up that weekend or morning or night before the hunt to slide in and hunt that tank or camp in that spot ?"

Petey, you are exactly the guy that i can not stand. Just because you scout and area, find a tank and build a blind, does not make that your water hole. How do you know that another guy isn't scouting the same waterhole. Just because he doesn't show up when you are scouting, doesn't mean he has not been there. Please do not feel entitled to a camp spot or waterhole, because you feel like you have earned it thru scouting. Be part of the solution and not the problem. Talk amongst other hunters and figure out a reasonable solution to guys wanting to hunt or camp in "YOUR" spots.

• Like 2

we came across 2 different people scouting in the same areas we've been scouting for months. I'd love to be able to say they are "my spots," but they are not. So we just told the people we may see them during the hunt because we will probably be hunting the area at some point. I know it's public land and we all share it. Just because my camera was there first doesn't mean it's my spot.

• Like 1