Sign in to follow this  
elkman

Successful archery hunt, what a hunt

Well my 2012 archery hunt came and went this year on opening day.

It all started this summer with a load of scouting. I have been into this area dozens of times in the last year knowing there were some good bucks in there. I had a couple of nice bucks on camera this summer, but had only seen this guy once before a distance and only for a second. I new he was a good one but not sure how good.

fast-forward to the week of the hunt. I went up weds morning to start looking. Of course with all the weather the prior week, and raining weds my springs had a slim possibility of producing so I decided to head out to my glassing point and set up and do some glassing. Right away I spotted a group of 4 bucks one of them being a 100+ 3 point that I was considering shooting if the big guy didn't show.

With a heck of a storm moving in I new conditions were gunna get tough. Wow what a long night of sleeping on a cot with a tarp over me. I couldn’t scout for most of the morning Thursday due to the rain, However when the storm broke a bit in the afternoon I went back out to glass. Just before dark I glassed up the big dude I was looking for.

After contemplating how to approach him in the morning I was in a toss up. He was on a bench in between two huge canyons. I decided I better get to the glassing spot early, locate him and plan from there. At daylight on Friday when the sun came out enough to see I was not a happy camper. I couldn’t even see the bench they were on, wouldn't you know it, FOG. It was the longest two hours of my life. Finally I got a little break in the fog and put some glass on the bench. Instantly I saw the two little bucks that were with him. I new he was there. I then decided to boogie over there and see what I could do. After nearly 2 hours of crossing two canyons and scaling up to the bench where he was, I was to my dead juniper that was my goal.

At this point my buck fever was setting in hard. I had an arrow knocked and slowly slipped my way in to what I thought was fifty yards from where I thought they would be. When I got to my next tree I looked through the bush and saw a deer feeding its way into an opening. With having stocked in of tons of deer in my day the scenario usually goes, “when I got there the little bucks were in the way of the big buck not offering me a shot, or the big one wouldn't step out”. Not this time. When the deer cleared the brush I was pleasantly surprised to see I t was him. As soon as I saw the rack I drew back figuring the yardage at 45. As soon as he cleared the tree I let it fly. The shot was tru and I nailed him perfect. I watched him disappear into the brush. At that point I was a wreck. Heart pounding, shaking, then doubt on the hit all start playing tricks on me. I waited about 20 minutes and the slipped up to the shot location. I looked above where he was standing and saw the arrow. Pass through, but no blood, I walked down the trail through the brush twenty yards and started seeing blood and a lot of it THANK GOD I was thinking to myself. After fifty yards of trailing there he was.

Wow what a hunt and what a buck, defiantly was worth all the scouting and hard work. He has a 19" inside spread and 21"+ main beams. Was defiantly happy with him and there was no ground shrinkage on this guy.

Thanks for reading: Josh Weeks

post-1-0-49289000-1346280203.jpg

post-1-0-14674900-1346280209_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-69795400-1346280215_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-95071600-1346280205.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Josh,congrats but this is killing me. I click on the pics and it just comes up with a bunch of gibberish! When you are doing your post there is a button that looks like a chain link, it is for attachments. Click that then browse your computer, find the pic, and hit upload. Then it will start a list of pics that you can then put in your post. I know that is a horrible decription. If you want to email them to me I will post them on this thread for you. jsorgan@gmail.com

The problem is that the files you attached are .htm files rather than jpg files. So you really haven't uploaded the photo files themselves instead you seem to be uploading links to web pages.

I have converted the files you emailed me and I will upload them and add them to your original post.

Thanks Amanda for getting the pics up! Josh! What a buck man, congrats. Thanks for sharing the pics and story.

thanks for sharing your story!

congratulations on a heck of a buck!

James

Looks like the photos are showing up now. Awesome.

Great great archery buck!! Congratulations!