regge090

AZGFD doesn't care about the youth.

You can only apply for jr hunts up til the year you turn 17, it doesn't mean if you are 17 during the hunt then you can apply.

Sorry to hear that, it would have gone the same way for us adults. Did you apply for the cow tags? Did you have proof of the application you submitted? If there's no proof or if you did apply for the cow hunt, that's just part of the game, sorry nothing has gone your way this year

Cody, when I read AZGFD doesn't care about the youth in your topic, right away I thought there must be some misunderstanding. I'm sorry to hear how things worked out and I can understand your frustration. Right away I wanted to get to the bottom of what went wrong so I took what you wrote and then went into the g&f regulations for some sort of explanation.

#1. The azgfd does make mistakes now and then like we all do so here is a suggestion that might help the next time you receive a different tag than you put in for. Run a copy of your application before you send it in. This way you have some proof and I know for a fact that this can be brought to the commission board for review. Without this it's possible you and your father's application was filled out wrong. This actually happened to me a few years ago and I swore I filled it out right until I found my copy.

#2. The g&f regulations does have a part of their regs that can be a little misleading and confusing. It saids that a youth license is good from 10years of age thru 20 years of age. This is where it gets tricky. You have to realize that there is a differrence between a youth and a jr tag. I can see where one might mistake a jr tag as being a youth tag. There are no youth tags for big game.

The regulations states persons are eligible to participate up to and thoughout the calender year of their 17th birthday. This means your sister was a year older than allowed but still considered a youth since she was not yet 20years of age. I certainly see how this can be confusing and mistaken as part of the jr hunts.

I hope this was of some help to you Cody. Please go to pages 24 thru 26 of the regulations and you will see that your opening statement about the azgfd not caring about the youth is totally wrong. You are part of the next generation that the azgfd and us old farts need to carry on our hunting heritage. Thanks for being a cwt member and good luck with the next draw. Thanks for posting. This was a good point you brought up Cody and it just might be reworded in next years regs. to clearify the difference between a jr hunter and a youth hunter. :)

TJ

You can only apply for jr hunts up til the year you turn 17, it doesn't mean if you are 17 during the hunt then you can apply.

Sorry to hear that, it would have gone the same way for us adults. Did you apply for the cow tags? Did you have proof of the application you submitted? If there's no proof or if you did apply for the cow hunt, that's just part of the game, sorry nothing has gone your way this year

Sorry I repeated some of what you already said but I was writing when you was posting. :(

TJ

Thank you guys for the in put. Just one more thing thou, since shes over the age limit why did they take my tag also?

If im under*

Because you put in together. That means the whole app was illegal. I'm sorry you had these things happen to you, but they are just going by the rules.

like has been said by others, it is unfortunate that you did not complete your applications accurately. better to learn these lessons early in life so hopefully you will not make them again. unfortunately the rules are the rules and the government is not going to make exceptions for people that do not follow them, regardless of how old you are and that is not because they are not in favor of supporting jr/youth hunters but because they can't. good luck on your upcoming hunts. put these things behind you and enjoy/appreciate what you have.

• Like 1

If 4 people applied for the same tag on the same application and there was 1 error, everyone on the application would be rejected, that's why they took your tag too

The thing about there tags was the g&f drew them tags , sent them in mail, then called and said they messed up!! They should have caught it threw there air tight draw system !!!. Just like if u fill out app incorrect it gets rejected. Them on the other hand got drawn, started scouting got fire up about tags they got in the mail. Then got the phone call. Kinda sad!!

They made it up by giving them nov mulie 22 witch has 600tags. The youth hunt 22 is any antler, first hunt in, and ONLY 100 tag witch are other youth hunters. Not like the nov Mullie hunt will be at all!

I feel ur pain Brodie!!!!!

Sounds like you and your father need to read the regs better, and fully understand the draw process. Better luck next year. IMO, you have only yourselves to blame and I think game and fish has started going in the right direction with the youth tags. i.e. over the counter spring turkey tags, fall javelina tags.

• Like 2

Hey Cody, I feel your pain. The draw process can be tricky, any I bet you would be hard-pressed to find someone who has not accidentally messed up an application at one time or another - I know I have and it cost me my loyalty point, for 5 years.

Our G&F is generally very dilegent when it comes to processing applications. If a question arises, the can usually show you a picture of your actual application. If they are in error, they try to fix it, but more often than not, it falls back on the applicant.

If I could give one bit of guidance, I can tell you are very frustrated with AZG&F right now - please realize that they are doing their very best to accomodate all hunters and put a lot of emphasis on youth hunters. Don't let your frustration turn into a negative view of the G&F department. They have rules, just like we all do and they have to stick to them - that's a good thing.

Hey Cody, I feel your pain. The draw process can be tricky, any I bet you would be hard-pressed to find someone who has not accidentally messed up an application at one time or another - I know I have and it cost me my loyalty point, for 5 years.

Our G&F is generally very dilegent when it comes to processing applications. If a question arises, the can usually show you a picture of your actual application. If they are in error, they try to fix it, but more often than not, it falls back on the applicant.

If I could give one bit of guidance, I can tell you are very frustrated with AZG&F right now - please realize that they are doing their very best to accomodate all hunters and put a lot of emphasis on youth hunters. Don't let your frustration turn into a negative view of the G&F department. They have rules, just like we all do and they have to stick to them - that's a good thing.

Just want to add my two cents...we also have to remember all of the people that game and fish deal with are not always honest, polite, or respectful. I'm sure they hear every excuse or story that has ever been told and I have to think they, just like any of us get sick of it. If they were in fact rude to you when you talked to them, just remember that you may not always be the only one who is frustrated. I know for a fact that their staff...particularly those that deal with the hunters on the phone or face to face, work VERY hard to do things the right way while being fair to all of those involved. Do they make mistakes...you bet. But, guess what...so do we. I know it's not the elk tags you wanted...but at least you get to go hunting. My son (11yrs) and I didn't draw any elk tag this year...that's the way it goes. I understand your frustration Cody, just remember that there are always two sides to every problem. Good luck to you and your father and I hope you and your sister can get out soon too!!

Definatetly a tough pill to swallow! I feel your pain! It has already been suggested that you make copy of your application for just this incident but your dad can request a copy of the application that was processed for verification (maybe your dad already did it). On youth application it sounds like mistakes were made on both sides. Either way, your sister cannot legally obtain a youth tag and thus the application should have been rejected...ie lose of loyalty point and no point for the current year for both applicants. Again, NOT what I would want to hear if I were in your shoes but there is a slight upside. If your sister would have hunted and harvested, things may have gotten complicated. I'm not sure that the the comission would have thrown the book at her since they issued the tag but you never know how complicated things may have gotten since we (the hunters) should know the regulations! Good luck on your hunt and hopefully you got all your bad luck out this year with applications because my family has made some mistakes over the years that have cost us our loyalty points and tags!

My dad and sister-in-law put in for the first Coues tag in 34A and got drawn for their second choice. The sticky point is there was leftover tags for the first hunt in that unit, HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?????? I understand you frustration!