John7979

24b help for Coues deer!

I am not new to hunting by any means! I am from Eastern Oregon have always hunted anything I can hand on a tag for, especially Mule Deer, which I have take a 176 that is 32 1/2 wide and a 190 so far. I now live in Maricopa, AZ and drew my first Coues tag for unit 24b, 2nd rifle season, which is the first week of Novemeber. I have read a lot on Coues deer, never hunted them or been in 24b and if anybody is looking for a hunting partner for this hunt that knows this area at all I'm game!! Forwarn, I am a hard core hunter and have no problem hiking my butt in the most rugged stuff and do so happily to get to places most won't think about! I just know nothing about this unit and very little about Coues deer but hoping to take a pretty good one this year regardless! If anybody wants help scouting and/or a hunting partner for this unit let me know! I am not interested in road hunting and just staying within 1/2 a mile of the road, I hunt! And yes I do keep secret spots secret! I'm pretty laid back and easy going and serious about hunting, ask my wife, she will roll her eyes 20 times over! lol

pm sent.

James

Nice buck! Ya, you notice I didn't reply to him?! lol I've talked to 2 guys on here and have given me some pointers on where to scout. I have never hunted the little buggers and don't know anybody to hunt with here in Arizona, and it looks like it's be a blast! What did that one score?

Is that a Tikka you're shooting? I have one in a .270 and love it...1/2 groups from factory ammo!

That's actually my buddy with the buck he shot on our hunt (last week of Oct. 24B) last year. It went 84 1/2" after deductions.

Tikka T3 Lite .270 WSM. Its a great light weight rifle.

That must have been before baiting became so popular, all the deer have now been lured into 23 and shot over piles of corn.

That must have been before baiting became so popular, all the deer have now been lured into 23 and shot over piles of corn.

Shooting a deer over corn with a bow is still 10x harder than shooting one with a rifle in hand at any given range!!! Whether its corn, water, acorns, minerals whatever, deer know that feeding/watering areas are where they get ambushed from predators.

Just my $0.02

John7979 PM me if you still need help. There are still plenty of quality bucks in 24B just waiting for ya to take a crack at them, be it at 10 yds. over corn or 1000yds. with a rifle. Id be glad to help.

• Like 1

You can bait deer here??? Worse yet your saying Ive been doing it the hard way all this time? John 7979 meet me at my house with a truck full of corn and we lure them back into 24B and fill your trophy room with monster Arizona Couse deer!

Thanks Flatlander!

Ya, you carry the sacks of corn up there and I'll open them for you to lead the trail south! lol

Ya, you carry the sacks of corn up there and I'll open them for you to lead the trail south! lol

Nah, well just need corn that smells better than whatever they are using in 23. I'm assuming that's how "all" the deer were lured all the way from 24B to 23.

Man, tough crowd. Sounds like maybe it was tough to pick up on the sarcasm in my tone. I have nothing against baiting, although I personally do not employ the method, and I am aware that there are plenty of deer left in 24b. John - If you haven't been told by now, find a canyon and glass, you will find deer. The north side of the unit gets A LOT less pressure than the south side. If you were looking for a unit where you can get remote in a hurry, congratulations, you found it. Good luck on your hunt, hopefully you end up with some pics to share!

• Like 1