Sign in to follow this  
HEADACHE

can I just vent...

A couple years ago I was hiking three miles back into a wilderness area in Colorado and sure enough there was a quad parked. Guy drove right past the closed road/wilderness area sign. I think I still have his spark plug. LOL.

That is awesome. I know a guy who claims he carries a havalon knife in his pocket just to cut sidewalls of quad tires in closed areas. That seems extreme to me but a spark plug seems like a pretty good idea.

The Forest Service hasn't marked the roads as closed and that chaps my butt. They took the time to put numbered signs on most roads this year (ones that haven't been marked forever) but not to mark them as closed. WTF? G&F has nothing to do with the closures but I think they will be enforcing closures (writing citations) on violators starting next year. 95% of the people I talked to weren't aware of the closures in that area. 90% of those I informed kept driving those closed areas...

So you guys are all for vandalizing someones property because they did something you dont like but you all moan and whine when someone vandalizes your camera left on a tank. Hmmmmmm......

+1 theres no difference.

Pretty sure I (don't know about m77) never moaned or whined about my camera. Painting with such a broad brush is almost never a good idea.

FYI, people driving in closed areas aren't 'doing something you (I) dont like.' They are breaking the law. Pretty simple fact you missed out on IMO. Yes, I'm aware vandalizing someone's quad would be breaking the law too. Difference is, I haven't done that. Plenty of people rode in to closed areas. Many of them did it after they were aware it was closed. Got nothing to say about that I guess...

What penalties does G&F impose on individuals if caught driving on closed roads? From what I understand all the closed roads are not properly marked as such. A couple years ago I was hiking three miles back into a wilderness area in Colorado and sure enough there was a quad parked. Guy drove right past the closed road/wilderness area sign. I think I still have his spark plug. LOL.

One of the things I have always loved the about hunting is they way most hunters are so great about looking out for each other and the brotherhood that there seems to be in the field.

However m77, the various posts of yours I have read really make me question the type of hunter and "sportsman" you are. Hope to never meet up with you in the field...

• Like 1

Pretty sure I (don't know about m77) never moaned or whined about my camera. Painting with such a broad brush is almost never a good idea.

FYI, people driving in closed areas aren't 'doing something you (I) dont like.' They are breaking the law. Pretty simple fact you missed out on IMO. Yes, I'm aware vandalizing someone's quad would be breaking the law too. Difference is, I haven't done that. Plenty of people rode in to closed areas. Many of them did it after they were aware it was closed. Got nothing to say about that I guess...

Could be the guy with the STOLEN spark plug was somehow disabled and had permission to have the quad back there. Guess that's why it isn't our job to be the law enforcers out there...

What penalties does G&F impose on individuals if caught driving on closed roads? From what I understand all the closed roads are not properly marked as such. A couple years ago I was hiking three miles back into a wilderness area in Colorado and sure enough there was a quad parked. Guy drove right past the closed road/wilderness area sign. I think I still have his spark plug. LOL.

One of the things I have always loved the about hunting is they way most hunters are so great about looking out for each other and the brotherhood that there seems to be in the field.

However m77, the various posts of yours I have read really make me question the type of hunter and "sportsman" you are. Hope to never meet up with you in the field...

Hahaha the posts for sure are very peculiar (it might be because he's a mini batman).

You "Hunters" that sit on here and critique everyone else's posts are getting a little rediculous.

First of all the spark plug, plug, was meant to be just that, an "LOL". Got it. Oh, I did think about it, even thought about giving the guy four flats, but didn't.

A closed road is a "closed road", handicapped or not.

As four your trail cams, I don't own one. They are just another technological device that give the "Hunters" and unfair advantage over the game. I wouldn't steal one nor would I damage one.

As for credibility, spent almost 28 years with a TS clearance, using high tech to unfairly hunt the other side.

And no, you probably wouldn't want to meet me out in the field. For whatever reason you added that.

Do you have any other complaints?

I understand these road closures were implemented after the draw. If I blew a bunch of bonus points on a tag and found out the FS changed where I could effectively hunt I might not be inclined to change travel plans.......but I'd at least give it as much thought as the FS did in their timing of the closures.

I have mixed feelings and experiences on the hunting next to roads and also the Forest Services recent "Travel Management Rules".

#1 I have been on both sides of the hunting a tank adjacent to a road (some closed and some open). One year I took my family on an ATV ride and went by a hunter in a tree stand sitting a tank on an open road. The hunter came unglued with me. My thought was that if he was that lazy to hunt adjacent to a well traveled and approved road he should expect to have unwelcome visitors like us!

#2 I have personally made the effort to get away from people and walked into a tank on a USFS "closed road". Admittedly it did disturb me to have people drive by illegally on their ATV's and disturb my activities.

Having said and experienced all the above (both sides of the concern) I believe one of the root causes for these interpersonal conflicts is our USFS handling of the Travel Management Rules. I have viewed all the proposed maps by the USFS for what they propose to close in units #1 & #27. Rough estimate is they propose to close about 80% of the roads that many of us have utilized for almost 40 years!! Bottom line if they are successful in closing this much forest access to all outdoors enthusiasts then their Travel Management changes will be terribly discriminatory to the aged, women, children and handicapped that have enjoyed this privilege the last 40 years. I hate to use the word discriminatory but it definitely applies to what the USFS desires and even some of the posters on this board. Just remember....some day you will be aged but hopefully not handicapped. When changing rules we need to consider what is best for everybody....not just our own self centered desires.