m77

Solution to Water Hole Problems/Confrontations

Just put a note on a tree by the tank witht the date you are going to hunt. Funny how peolpe do this and thing that little note gives them ownership. I built a groung blind a 3-4 years ago in a draw about 1/4 mile from a tank and a couple of years ago I watched a guy walk to the blind and put a note in it, stating he would be using the blind during his hunt which was not for another 4 months. I kindly removed the litter from the forest when he left.

I like the idea that m77 is trying to change for the better (even though I may not agree with his recommendation). I personally believe in the "first come, first serve" rule. However, it is simply a rule to consider. It comes down to law vs ethics and as we all know... at lot of things that are unethical are still legal. This means even though you are there first, someone can still legally come in and sit across the waterhole from you, or even right next to you.

If we were going to make a change for the better, I think this should move from a ethical rule, to an actual law. What if they were to make the "first come, first serve" an actual law for waterholes. If another hunter is at the waterhole first (for that day of course), then another hunter is not legally allowed to hunt within XXX yards of that waterhole. A lot of the A holes out there that currently disregard this law may be less inclined to stick around if they know by doing so can cause them to be fined and/or lose their hunting license for the year. It would also put an end to the harassment hunters receive from payed guides. I feel they already have other laws that would help make this a reality. For instance, no camping within a 1/4 mile of a waterhole.

What are your guy's thoughts on this idea?

Flame away if needed

I like the idea that m77 is trying to change for the better (even though I may not agree with his recommendation). I personally believe in the "first come, first serve" rule. However, it is simply a rule to consider. It comes down to law vs ethics and as we all know... at lot of things that are unethical are still legal. This means even though you are there first, someone can still legally come in and sit across the waterhole from you, or even right next to you.

If we were going to make a change for the better, I think this should move from a ethical rule, to an actual law. What if they were to make the "first come, first serve" an actual law for waterholes. If another hunter is at the waterhole first (for that day of course), then another hunter is not legally allowed to hunt within XXX yards of that waterhole. A lot of the A holes out there that currently disregard this law may be less inclined to stick around if they know by doing so can cause them to be fined and/or lose their hunting license for the year. It would also put an end to the harassment hunters receive from payed guides. I feel they already have other laws that would help make this a reality. For instance, no camping within a 1/4 mile of a waterhole.

What are your guy's thoughts on this idea?

Flame away if needed

Great, another nannie stater. Hope you like Obama.

I'm afraid of hights :( !! dont like being in tree where all i see game that seems to be always out of bow range!! :blink: ...i get bored sitting in ground blind!! I fall asleep reading a book!!.. August is too dang hot!! :wacko: Dec, & Jan, are too cold to sit around in blind!!! :huh: ..I love to hunt!!! :D would rather try my luck at spot & stock! :ph34r: .....I have no idea why i answered this post??? :unsure: ...sorry!! since everyones is puttin there 2 cents in! i thought i'd better while i can afford it!...wont be able to after

Fiscal cliff fall!!.....lol!! jan,1 20013!...lets just keep it as is!!!....."HE WHO HESITATE'S"!!.....".MASTERBATES"!...witch means you better get there first!!...or keep walking! :D

• Like 1

I have always historically hunted the remote areas...one key reason is to avoid all the issues mentioned above...as well as for hunting top quality animals. Only had about two confrontations as a result in 40 years of hunting. Unfortunately now that we have lost about 1/2 the hunting real estate in units #1 and unit #27 due to the devastation of the Wallow Fire, these confrontations have a greater chance of occurring now. My only point is we cannot "legislate" our way to a perfect solution any more than we can legislate safety for the NFL (which is ruining the game). We have recently seen how well legislation has (or has not) worked in the financial community. Soon unfortunately we will find out how much more gun regulations will work or supposedly add value. I'm for applying more common sense, courtesy, and tactical procedures rather than more regulations that history has shown are often ineffective in most applications.

• Like 1

The fact is he is not joking. He is a moron and is trying to back pedal once he realized everyone thinks his ideas are ridiculous. Ignore him. I have had only 3 issues ever on water. Once in 6b. Once in 9 and once in 13b. All 3 times I was there first and people came in and said it was there tank. All 3 times I left without saying much except the strip cuz it was a guide and that pissed me off bad. It happens and people just need to be respectful of the law and other people.

• Like 1