kimberx2

unit 15a,15b,18a late cow hunt

I got a leftover tag for cow elk in units 15a,15b and 18a in November.

I have never hunted these units and I realize there are not alot of elk here.

I've read azgfd's where to hunt and have an idea which areas to try, BUT

I was wondering if any one could give any tips or pointers were to start.

I didn't want to scout too early and have the elk move on before the hunt but I do

need to go up soon and start looking at roads and areas in general.

I don't expect anyone's honey hole. Just looking to see if anyone has even seen elk in

any areas up there. Don't mind hiking in to areas but do have 4x4 that will go anywhere.

But with gas prices like they are having an area to start would sure help.

Thanks for the help, you guys are the best.

Thanks for the info Shrek and Jmwarrens65. Sounds like those antelope over there are tricky to get.

Any one have this hunt or the any elk hunt, up there last weekend? I didn't see anything but bulls and spikes, no cows. Saw seven different bulls. If you are looking for bulls and saw cows pm me and maybe we could help each other out . I'm not going up again till Thanksgiving. Good luck everyone.

Well I finally found some cows. Spent four days the first weekend and only saw bulls, javelina, deer, coyotes and road hunters. Went back for Thanksgiving and moved to a different area. On sunday morning 3 cows finally came in. But of course I was reading Cwt forum and not ready. As I reached for my rifle the elk made me and were off. A 25 yard shot quickly became 100 when I got a clear shot through the trees. I picked the largest of the 3 and made the shot. 7 days hunting and I finally saw a cow.. Thanks to the cwt members who helped with info on where to start looking.

post-8184-0-87698000-1354070741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I drew a cow tag for 18a this year. I saw your post, any suggestion on where to look for cows in November? I've had the any elk tag before and have only seen bulls. Have no clue where the cows are hiding. Any help would be appreciated.

I hunted cow in these units back several years ago. There was a bull hunt the prior week and I talked to the hunters about herd movements from camps. I did scouting prior, but its amazing how fast they move in a short period of time.

Good luck!

My wife has this tag as well and my buddy's son and wife have the any elk tag for same dates. Gonna start at the northern part of the unit and see what we can find. I have 6a early archery so I have alot of scouting to do for both hunts. Gonna be a busy year!

• Like 1