PelaPapas

New member here with a couple of questions...

Welcome to the best hunting site in the West. There have been so many great replies, and if you could take them all to the field with you, you'd already be in great shape.

My best advice to you, find a long-term member here in your area and ask them to tag along. There is no better way learn how to hunt coues deer, from scouting, to glassing to field dressing than to rely on experience. And in your neck of the woods, there are plenty of knowledgeable members.

Once your buck is down, proper field care is essential in ensuring that you get the full experience.

Haha I Knew I was gonna catch some heat for my avatar, haha it's all goooood! GO CATS!

I'm heading out to hunt on the weekend of Oct. 26th.

1 More question (SORRY!)... What's the best/easiest way to field dress a deer? I've never done one on my own I only "helped out" from time to time but it's been so long I don't really remember. I've looked up some different ways online, But I'm looking for the most simple/easiest way for a beginner.

Haha I Knew I was gonna catch some heat for my avatar, haha it's all goooood! GO CATS!

I'm heading out to hunt on the weekend of Oct. 26th.

1 More question (SORRY!)... What's the best/easiest way to field dress a deer? I've never done one on my own I only "helped out" from time to time but it's been so long I don't really remember. I've looked up some different ways online, But I'm looking for the most simple/easiest way for a beginner.

I have hung them when there are trees around but it can be a challenge when you're alone. I usually will cut from the sternum to the rectum going just through the hide and not puncture the cavity (keeps flies and bees to a minimum) and grab a handful of hide with my free hand and using a knife up against the hide make a couple of short cuts to begin freeing the hide from the flesh gradually making longer cuts as I simultaneously pull on the hide.

I do this for one side (when the deer is on the ground and can't be hung) untill I get the hide off one side up to the top of center of the spine. At this point I slice the backstrap off while pulling on it and working the knife along the bone. If you are doing this for the first time and will be alone go get one of those metal butcher gloves in case you slip so you don't cut yourself.

Then I make a cut on the inside of the rear leg going to the bone from the knee to the hip socket and pull the meat away from the bone as I work the knife lengthwise along the bone and remove the whole quarter as one piece.

The front shoulder (which has less meat) is done similar to the rear but you just have a little more bone to work around. Then I slice as much meat off the calves and neck which usually get ground up for sausage.

Have you looked at any You Tube videos yet?

Use some heavy string or rope around the lower leg and tie it off to a tree of boulder to help keep it from flopping in the way. Don't rush it and you can be done in about an hour. Once you have a few under your belt you will be able to do it in half that time.

If you must cut into the body cavity be careful not to puncture the bladder or you will get urine on the meat which need to be washed off right away so carry a couple of liter bottles of water in the pack. If you decide to gut it and then carry it out by tying the four hooves together and slinging it over a shoulder you will want to use a small saw to split the hip joint to free up the intestine for removal. To do that cut from the front to the rear along the underside of the hip to expose the bone and slice through the meat. Then take a small saw and cut along the hip bonve where the hips join. It is not very thick and will only take a minute or two to do. Once through put your hands just above each knee and push down and the rest of the joint will crack and split making it easier to remove the intestine.

When I pack out my deer I like to cut the legs off at the knee's and tie the front legs at the hind legs and carry the deer out like a back pak. After you get back to camp hang your deer in the shade and skin it so the body cools down. I cut my deer up myself. I have a small bandsaw that works great. I get cuts similar to a cow, t bones, from the back strap and round steaks from the hind quarters. If it is hot during your hunt then quarter the deer and place them in an ice chest with ice to keep them cool so you don't loose the meat. I am hunting in 31 so can't help you much on locations.

Good luck with your hunt.

I'll be in a situation very similar to yours this winter. I'll be doing my first solo hunt, and it will be my first time actually holding the tag. I've found a few online resources for showing how to take care of game after the kill. I'll post them up here. But since I want to keep things simple, and its my first time without somebody helping, I have come up with the following game plan.

First I'll kill an enormous Muley about .5-2 miles from my car (not truck...). I'll take a couple photos, and then get to work field dressing him. I'm planning on trying the gutless method, since I'll have to quarter him anyways to get him back to my car (no buddy to drag with, so 2 miles of dragging ain't happening). I'll get him all dressed out and the meat I can't carry hung in bags on a nearby tree, marked in my GPS, mind, and with Toilet Paper flags. Then I'll take him in 2-3 loads back to the cooler and ice packs waiting in my trunk.

After that I'll be processing him myself. I've assisted others in this, and figure I've got to learn sometime, why not on my 1st? Between my prior experiences tagging along on hunts when I was younger, and google, I should be able to do at least a passable job on my own. I may learn a few things the hard way, but I'm planning as much as possible to minimize any stupid mistakes. Worst case scenario, I call one of my more knowledgable buddys to come bail be out of any tough spots I work myself into. But it can't be that hard right? (famous last words... :rolleyes: )

Here's some of the resources I've found.

http://rule-303.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-process-your-own-deer.html

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2067691/How_to_Process_Your_Own_Veniso

Hope those links work. I'm no expert, but hopefully I'm smart enough to get the job done. Just have a can-do attitude.

Pm sent. You can camp with my group and I. I have the same tag and will help you field dress also. Sent you my number in the PM

and where is that camp so i can stop and say HI :)