Sign in to follow this  
SDHNTR

Pipe feeder?

I live 325 miles away from where I like to hunt coues deer. In years past the areas that I have found with the most deer are heavily timbered and under oak canopy. It's hard to spot and stalk because once you do see one, they are hard to keep tabs on during the stalk if they get in the trees. Especially hard in Jan when they are chasing.

Was thinking about switchinggears this year and setting up some blinds with feeders, hopefully attract the does and the bucks following them. Being that I live so far away, frequent trips to check stands is out of the question. So I was thinking what if I set up a big pipe feeder and strap it to a tree? A section of abs pipe with an elbow at the bottom the deer can eat out of and let it gravity feed. Make it big enough to where it will last for a while. Has anyone done this with success? How big will I need to make it so that the feed will last for a while? Or am I just wasting my time?

I was thinking maybe a trip out in Nov to put the feeders up. Another trip out in Dec to check on things, set up blinds, and then coming back for hunting in early January. See anything wrong with my plan?

Whoops- I'm erasing my comment because what I said was a lie, I didn't know the regs as good as I thought, nothing illegal about having feeders in the field.

Sorry for the wrongful information, good luck with your situation.

Feeders are illegal in az, baiting deer would work wonders and that's why it's illegal, good thing you asked

Illegal??? Can you quote the rule on this? Because the regulations say it is legal.

Nothing illegal about it. Sounds like a good plan to me. If other animals get to it also it won't last long. I have seen a 40 lb bag gone in a couple days if pigs of a pack of Codi's get to it.

Feeders are illegal in az, baiting deer would work wonders and that's why it's illegal, good thing you asked

Illegal??? Can you quote the rule on this? Because the regulations say it is legal.

Indeed legal it is don't let anyone find your spot man sounds like a great concept.

• Like 1

WRONG. I may be from out of state, but this isn't my first AZ rodeo.

Please DO NOT turn this into a bait vs. not baiting debate. Please just address my questions or keep quiet.

• Like 1

Nothing illegal about it. Sounds like a good plan to me. If other animals get to it also it won't last long. I have seen a 40 lb bag gone in a couple days if pigs of a pack of Codi's get to it.

I don't normally see pigs up this high. Coatis, hmmm, never thought about them. Actually bears are my biggest concern. Not sure how to keep them or other critters away. Any ideas?

Please DO NOT turn this into a bait vs. not baiting debate. Please just address my questions or keep quiet.

It is not a baiting issue per say, the question is who owns the land that you are going to place these pipes on? Private land with land owners permission then buy regular timed feeders.

Public land then its a different story. You need to check with the agency that supervises the land in question.

If bears are anywhere near the area they will find the food, destroy the feeder, eat the food, poop all over, and stick around to do it again. Most other animals will stay away the whole time. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Nice. I'm going to say he was joshing you.

If bears are anywhere near the area they will find the food, destroy the feeder, eat the food, poop all over, and stick around to do it again. Most other animals will stay away the whole time. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

+1 on the bears. I had a buddy put out 2 pipe feeders with the self-help elbows and bears ripped them off the trees within two weeks and destroyed them.

Use a BIG pipe because once the deer find it they are going to go thru 40-50lb per week easy.

Pipe feeders are easy to make and work really well. If there are bears in the area I suggest using two straps on a tree. :)

TJ