Sign in to follow this  
JakeL

Mule Deer Behavior

I'm busy scouting out area for my first real desert muley hunt this december. I'll be hunting one of the OTC desert units and I am trying to get a good lay of the land, as well as try to find where the deer hang out.

My question is what time of year do the does begin to herd up? And when do the bachelor herds generally break up? I am correct to assume that these desert bucks wont be in with the does until the rut kicks in right? Will they remain in the bachelor herds up till then?

I guess another related question I could ask that may be even more helpful would be if you guys know of any good literature on the subject of desert mule deer, hunting them and their biology/behavior. Most of the stuff I've found deals mostly with deer at higher latitudes, and simply makes mention of some desert muleys existing.

Thanks for all the info guys.

you'll see um roaming for does when the Dec. hunt opens.... the rut is different in different areas.

I've seen em all fired up by Dec. and I have also seen em go a little later sometimes.

If you find does Bucks won't be far behind..

James

I have seen small bucks with does year round but the rut usually starts late December in the area I hunt!

+1 spikes and forkies can be mixed in with does pretty much year round, Ive seen the big bucks already with small groups of does as early as late October. Just know theres always an exception to the rule when your chasin mulies!

Down in the lower part of the state the Desert Muledeer start rutting real hard around th end of December more so in January if i were you id get a tag for January!! that way you can pick you up a OTC left over pig tag an hunt then both at the same time!! lots of fun!! Then you can hunt Muledeer,Whitetail and pig all together!....just a thought!!! good luck!! ;)