Sign in to follow this  
nighthawk

What 338 to get?

All great rounds except the win its got the ballistics of a fat guy. You obviously reload seeing your considering the edge. I read a thread on Snipers hide(am i allowed to speak this blasphemy) it laid out powder capacity for all the rounds you are considering, and benefits and disadvantages for all. Im partial to the Lapua because its a NATO round and brass would be a little easier to find if brass got hard to find( if worst comes to worst). If you are open to buying a ready rifle Savages 111 platform is a killer setup for the Lapua for the money. You definitely cant go wrong either with a 700 action trued, shilen,krieger barrel with a Mcmillian either. People have mentioned that individuals have reloaded the Lapua brass quite a bit more times then the remington/nosler brass. A Schmidt & Bender or Nightforce would do that 338 a whole lot of good when you decide to build/purchase one.

I would vote on the Lapua as well. I almost went the Edge route and ended up having a 7mm built instead. The Lapua has been in use forever, great brass, and a lot of choices.

You may want to determine what trigger, barrel, stock, magazine type, and so on and then decide what the best value is that hits all your needs. Obviously if you go customer you can get any thing you want in any caliber but you may find a very good stock or even a used gun you can customize and save a bunch of dough.

The Edge.

Simply because my Dad is a custom gunsmith and

he builds the Edge quite often. (he just built one, and has two more on order)

All the Edges he has built, has shot sub 1 inch groups, @300 yards. very comfortable to shoot, and the brass is very easy too get. (just 300 RUM brass fire formed)

338 RUM will do anything a Lapua will do, and do it cheaper. The round really shines with handloads. 200 gr CT is a top performer out to 600, and a 225 or 250 will do you right out to 1000. I shoot lefty's, and all my Ultra Mags are factory LH except the 375, it is custom shop. If you can't kill it with an ultra mag, it dont need killin.

-sd

Thanks for all the info.. I'm not sure what would be best but I know what bullet I would want to shoot. 300 grain nosler accubond with a bc .72!!! I want a heavy bullet that won't get pushed easily by wind at long distance

Go with the 338 Edge. Its identical to the 338 Lapua, but a lot more economical. Yes the brass is very consistent on the Lapua; however, you can pick thru 5 bags of remington brass for the cost of 100 cases of Lapua. Also, the 338 Edge fits into a remington action, or clone, with very little if any modifications vs. the Lapua.

338 Edge

338 RUM

338 Lapua

338 Win