Sign in to follow this  
ADDICT

NM Elk Hunt/VIDEO

I’m back from nine days of chasing elk in NM. The weather didn’t cooperate. The moon didn’t cooperate. The elk didn’t cooperate!

It was very difficult to find elk in this area. It hadn’t rained for over a week and a lot of the tracks were tough to distinguish. Almost all of the water had dried up but do to hunting pressure the elk were reluctant to come in.

I hiked a few miles every morning in the areas with the most sign. I never heard a bugle in the am. The unit is almost completely flat so glassing was tough. The biggest bulls we saw were actually on roads as we were commuting to the trailheads.

I guess what I’m getting at was that it was a rough hunt! BUT, I had a great time. The week flew by. We did see some amazing bulls and had some close calls but I was never able to seal the deal. I guess it will only amplify the excitement when I take my next bull!

My buddy Scott killed a bull opening night that despite being young, had amazing genetics. 17’ fronts on him. Matching devils. Wouldve been a slug!

Here’s the video link if you want to watch us HUNTING elk(not SEEING J)

What unit? Headed out there for first muzzleloader hunt. PM me if you don't want to share it on the WWW. NM can be tough, I've always found that the elk rut is way more predictable and strong in AZ, at least compared to the part of NM I hunt.

I to liked the video. Good ending!

TJ

Very good video! Helped a couple of guys this year and have quite a bit of film but nothing on the ground! Gives me inspiration to put something together!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I learned a lot! I just got back fro SD and whacked a nice mule deer. I'll post in the MD Forum tomorrow.

Thanks for posting, I thought the video was great! JIM>