Sign in to follow this  
Flintlock

Dutch oven in the ground Pot Roast

Getting ready to head to the mountains and this is one of the meals I plan on preparing.

The night before, dig hole in the ground twice the size as dutch oven, load it up with Juniper. Cut up potaoes, carrots, onions, garlic,

The next morning burn it down to ashes and coals, load up oven with 2-3 lb roast/veggies and season with salt and pepper add 3-4 cans beer ( you do not want it to go dry)

Dig out 3/4 of the coals/ashes, put oven in ground refill hole with coals/ashes ( should be up the sides all the way and covering the top,

Go hunting,

That evening, pull lid and drop bisquick mix biscuits on top recover,

Drink two Large Crown and Cokes, pull the lid and enjoy.

Daaang! That sounds great! Let us know how it turns out. I have a bunch of cast iron cookwear, but hardly ever use it. I would like to try this kind of cookin'.

Yes you must have the Crown. I was cracking up when I saw another recipe on the forum that required Crown. Thats my favorite followed by Pendleton.

We have used Mountain Mahogany but you have to be carefull as it can get too hot.

If your dutch oven doesnt have a lip around the lid to hold coals, you can use a cast iron pan that will set down tight inside the the oven.

It works great to hold coals and also less chance of spilling them into your dinner when you pull the lid.