Sign in to follow this  
Shanachie

.243 for Mule Deer?

I'm hoping to get some advice. Is a .243 going to be OK for mule deer? If so, what ammo do you like? I understand it might be little small. My other option is a Weatherby 300 my wife's grandfather gave me. I haven't shot it yet. I'm pretty accurate with my .243 thought. I;d worry about not having enough time to get up to speed with the Weatherby for an early November hunt. Thoughts other than buying a new rifle?

Thanks for your insight. This will be my first mule deer hunt. I'm pretty psyched.

.243 is plenty big enough. Great deer cartiridge. The case itself is a .308 case necked down to .243. Lots of powder behind that bullet. Good luck on your hunt

just shoot a good strong bullet like a barnes or accubond or something in that realm and you'd be just fine

.243 is a great deer round. I shoot a 100 grain out of mine with no issues on deer.

• Like 1

I'd agree with everyone here. The .243 is an excellent deer round, especially if you are comfortable and accurate with it. Not that I would do it myself, but I have seen elk taken with a .243. A 100 grain Nosler BT or Barnes would be my round of choice for your hunt. Good luck!

A 243 is all I shot for years.I killed a 365 bull in 1967,lots of deer-coues and mulies,bears,pigs.One year my dad killed 9 buffalo with 10 shots after hunters had shot them.All of these animals were shot with 100 gr.Hornadys.I wouldn't worry about killing a deer with it,it will work.

.243 is a great deer round. I shoot a 100 grain out of mine with no issues on deer.

Cant tell you how many I have knocked down with this set up in all my years

Totally agree that a .243 with a well place shot will be more than enough for Muley's. Good look and shoot straight.

Totally agree that a .243 with a well place shot will be more than enough for Muley's. Good look and shoot straight.

+1

243win is a awesome deer round :) is this your first muley hunt? i shoot the 243 using barnesTSX,noslerPartition while hunting muley and coues