Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Is It Legal?

Federal Law applies. A person under the age of 21 can not buy or possess a handgun. Check with you local BATF office.

This really doesn't make sense though and I certainly do not have the literature but that would mean that every person under 21 who shoots a hand gun would be commiting a federal offense. Every parent/guardian etc who lets their youngster shoot a handgun while in the outdoors would be commiting a crime. Doesn't make sense you know. I am not trying to be argumentative in the least btw.

You can get a guest hunting license for him. I believe they are available at any G&F office. They don't cost anything, and they are good for 3 days. Applies to predator and small game hunting. A good option to introduce someone to hunting.

yes you can own a handgun if you are under 21, just cant buy one. must be over 18 to own a handgun.

You can get a guest hunting license for him. I believe they are available at any G&F office. They don't cost anything, and they are good for 3 days. Applies to predator and small game hunting. A good option to introduce someone to hunting.

Good Point! Get the "Apprentice License" from G&F

I'm going to check out more on that apprentice license. looks like a good idea.

Federal Law applies. A person under the age of 21 can not buy or possess a handgun. Check with you local BATF office.

This really doesn't make sense though and I certainly do not have the literature but that would mean that every person under 21 who shoots a hand gun would be commiting a federal offense. Every parent/guardian etc who lets their youngster shoot a handgun while in the outdoors would be commiting a crime. Doesn't make sense you know. I am not trying to be argumentative in the least btw.

There are exceptions. I don't have all of the details. That is why I recommended contacting the BATF.

This guy is wrong!!!!! 18 to carry 21 to buy as previously stated

On foot, any adult person who is not a "prohibited possessor"[3] may openly carry a loaded firearm visible to others in a belt holster, gun case or scabbard. Generally, a person must be at least 18 years of age to possess or openly carry a firearm. However, this does not apply to:

1. Juveniles within a private residence.
  2. Emancipated juveniles.
  3. Juveniles accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian.
  4. Juveniles on private property owned or leased by the juvenile or the juvenile's parent, grandparent, or guardian.
  5. Juveniles fourteen years of age and up engaged in any of the following activities:

• Lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
  • Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for lawful hunting.
  • Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
  • Activities that require a firearm related to the production of crops, livestock, poultry, livestock products, poultry products, or ratites or in the production or storage of agricultural commodities.[4]

• Like 1

Why not just buy him a hunting Lic. That is what I do not under stand. If the boy wants to have a gun and be responsible then he needs to buy a Lic. Heck sakes. Is the problem him packing a gun or is it buying the Lic. I'm on your side on this one , but he should have his own Lic.

• Like 1

Why not just buy him a hunting Lic. That is what I do not under stand. If the boy wants to have a gun and be responsible then he needs to buy a Lic. Heck sakes. Is the problem him packing a gun or is it buying the Lic. I'm on your side on this one , but he should have his own Lic.

I guess I am wondering why you don't buy him a license as well.......seems like the best approach, plus he can put in for big game hunts and all that fun stuff too.....

• Like 1

Simple, get the license and dont worry about it. If he wants to pack heat, pay the price of the hunting license.

As non typical said, get him a license. If he isn't interested in hunting big game now, he might be in the future and it would be nice to have some bonus points built up.

The reason I was debating on buying him a license is the fact that it will basically only be good for about a couple months from when I buy it for him! I buy it late October and it will expire on Dec.31, I dont really want to buy a license that might not be used again within those 2 months. Which I would rather wait until January to buy him a 2013 license and get my monies worth, thats the reason why. I didnt know about the apprentice license and called AZGFD today and i will be getting him one tomorrow. Its a free license thats valid to hunt for 2 days (no big game).

The reason I was debating on buying him a license is the fact that it will basically only be good for about a couple months from when I buy it for him! I buy it late October and it will expire on Dec.31, I dont really want to buy a license that might not be used again within those 2 months. Which I would rather wait until January to buy him a 2013 license and get my monies worth, thats the reason why. I didnt know about the apprentice license and called AZGFD today and i will be getting him one tomorrow. Its a free license thats valid to hunt for 2 days (no big game).

Good discussion and glad you got things ironed out.

One more thing, don't wait til January, get him a license for next year now and get him put in for javelina, turkey........you won't regret it........You don't have to tell him, then give it to him for Christmas!!!!

good luck out there and be safe............

See I knew you had a good reason. I hope you understand I want him to Cary on your hunt. I am very happy to see you putting the time into your brother getting into the field.