Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Quail hunting

Who is going out tomorrow? I am going to my usual spot at Tonto Basin. It sucked last year but maybe will be better this year. Good luck and be safe for all of you going out.

Wish I could get out there tomorrow. Nothing like the opening day of bird season! ;)

Unfortunately I'm buried in work tomorrow. Then on Saturday/Sunday my boys have a rowing competition (Crew) that I need to be at, so I won't be out on opening weekend this year.

Post a report please!

S.

:)

Watch out of Snakes! I usually always see a few snakes opening weekend! Let us know how Tonto Basin is this year, because your right last year sucked!

Adam

I'll be heading down to Baja California late next week for a South of the border quail hunt. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

I think with the wetter weather at least on the east side it should be a great season. I had about a hundred of em in my backyard a couple days ago (i dont feed them but i have a couple native trees that do) it sure was a lot of them together making a ruckus!

My spot sucked again.... It was fun to get out though. Got 2 birds and some exercise......Anybody else do any good?

I'm thinking about going out early in the morning but my usual spots here around Tucson have not had any birds sighted or heard recently. Thus, I'm thinking about heading down south but don't really know a direction to go...Tomorrow may be a bit of an adventure...

South ain't looking good except in the neighborhoods

Pretty much what I figured but I can hunt and glass for deer in my unit. Seems like a win win...

Got 11 down at Tonto Basin today. My brother had 9. Could have easily limited if I could have hit the broad side of a barn! haha but was still fun. Only one spot we found had all the quail. Every other place we tried we didn't see any sign of them.

Ditched the quail idea in favor of scouting for deer. Sure am glad I did...didn't see nor hear any quail in the area I was at. Deer on the other hand, I saw some good signs for the upcoming hunt.

I spent my day learning the muzzleloader for the upcoming hunt. FUN. 1.5" group at 100yards.

Went out Saturday morning was able to get 11 of them. Here are the first 7 of them.

DSCN4900.jpg

Ernesto C

Out again today in a different location...Empire ranch aka las cienegas national conservation area. Didn't see or hear and quail all afternoon. Not only that but decided I wouldn't even shoot if I did jump any as the grass was up to my chest. Made for walking to be pretty interesting at times down near the water.

Did see a group of mulies, handful of whitetail, some antelope, and nice coues shed. Also ran across a rattler who wasn't too happy to see me.