crazyaboutcoues

Mule deer or Coues deer?

im not compleatly convinced its a coues. The tail looks like a mulie with the black on it and it doesnt look bushy enough to be a whitetail.

Looks like a pretty good Coues whitetail buck to me. The tails of mule deer are much thinner, and usually have black only on their tips. Many Coues deer have tails that are dark on top. The photo doesn't show what's underneath. In addition, the shape and coloration of this buck's body look nothing at all like a mature mule deer.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Coues deer for sure. As has been said, coues can have dark topped tails, but this one is fluffy and not rope-like.

You can also look at the gland on the lower outside part of the rear leg.....the one in this photo is small and round like a coues buck, not longer like a muley or a hybrid.

here is an article about hybrids

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/tails-with-a-dark-side-the-truth-about-whitetail-mule-deer-hybrids/

I haven't seen this buck or been able to take another picture of him. He lives in a very brushy area so I just need to do more work in finding out his habits...

I took this buck on my muzz hunt...

post-35-0-71525600-1352422219_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-39709700-1352422238_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-10441400-1352422257_thumb.jpg