Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Sheds

I went this past Sunday to look for some sheds and didn't find anything. My dad found a 5x5 bull dead and a friend found a 5x7 elk set. We watch a couple of big bachelor groups of elk that all still had their horns. Seen two really nice Muley's but no Coues deer. I thought the elk and mule deer would have all shed their horns by now, would do you guys think?

Jason

I have found several nice elk sheds this year, and have seen several bulls that still have their horns.

Went out on Saturday to pick up the film from a couple trail cameras in unit 22 and all of the bulls that we had pictures of had shed except for one spike. Some of the bulls even had new growth coming in already. Most of the pictures were taken about two weeks ago. I did find one brown elk shed and one spike coues shed. I would say that most of the elk have dropped by now, and the coues should be starting anytime.

I was camping this weekend in unit 32 and spotted two nice bucks that still had their horns but then found a small two point shed from this year, so they are just starting to drop in that area.

LAst evening I saw 7 bulls that still had their horns on, but there were probably 5 other bulls in the bunch that had no horns. None showing any new growth yet. We have not seen a buck with horns for about 3 weeks now.

Taos, when you say you haven't seen a "buck" in 3 weeks with horns are you referring to coues or carp? Thanks.

I went out last monday to 36c to drop salt and saw 7 coues ,2 bucks 1 with a 3pt on half and nothing on the other side and the other buck was shed. went to the spot where the half cast was, hiked back on his trail for 1/4 mile or so and found nothing. went forward to track a while longer and got thirsty, had to hoof it back to the quad for h2o. so in that area they are startin to drop. good luck!!

The trail cam has gotten a few bucks with nubbs up in the pines. Few bucks w/ them still in tact but most have shed I believe.

Two weeks ago I found my first brown Coues shed. It's a decent 2pter, later I found a nice 3pt that had laid there for a couple years. One of these days I'll try to figure out how to post pics.

Josh