GotBowAz

Pack animals??

Wow this is pretty cool might have to keep this in mind and at least if you came to a fence you could pick them up n toss them over kind of like that idea,

Thought I would add a few more pictures from some recent hikes. One of them I took Saturday with my hunting partner. With the exceptions of the 2 pics of the boys chillin in their yards we took a couple of roughly 5 mile hikes. The goats are fat and out of shape but it wont take me long to get them packing bigger loads. I had to expand their harnesses on the sawbucks to get them on the fatty's. Appears they put on a little weight getting hayed over the winter while the grass was dead. I just reviewed the pictures and its pretty neat to see how much they have grown sense i first picked them up from Southernexpress

post-8760-0-43193000-1428323902_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-17462900-1428323950_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-60299100-1428324008_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-96549200-1428324026_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-09690600-1428324062_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-94860900-1428324083_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-97106900-1428324103_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-89422000-1428324170_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-39357800-1428324193_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Totally guessing here Todd but I figure we a little over five miles round trip. Its a pretty hard tough 5 miles. Shooter was panting like a dog on the last leg out but their packs were light this time. Its their first hike sense mid December. I need to make another Sawbucks soon. Im currently trading packs from the black goat Miss B to the white goat Bonnie. Bonnie being in training and all takes the pack out when it is empty. She is taking to it pretty good but has issues with not knowing how wide she has become with them on. She nearly knocks the pack off when passing a tree and has come close to knocking me down with them as well. a few more trips and she will be good to pack some weight and she will figure out how much she needs to give way on her sides.

It really depended on where you plan to pack into horses and mules can carry the most weight but there are some wilderness areas that do not allow them not many but worth considering, Goats and lamas have no such restrictions. I have not packed with lamas but have packed with both goats and horses. My goats are much easier to take hiking i bottle fed most of them from babies so they are very attached to me and i don't need any ties or leads to keep my string together. I'm not saying all goats will be this good like i said I've had most of mine since they were babies and you would have to find goats with the right disposition to do the same as me. another great thing about goats is you don't have to carry food for them i bring some treats for sticky situations but other then that they are browsers and love broad leaf bushes and plants which can be found pretty much everywhere. Yes they can only carry 1/3 their weight but with the right breeding program you can cross one of the larger dairy goat breeds such as a sonnan or Nubian with a boer meat goat to get a large heavily muscled goat weighing between 125 and 160 lbs witch adds up when you multiply that by 5

• Like 1

My wife is a Packgoat 4H leaders and raises packgoats for sale. When full grown her goats can carry 35-45Lbs. Anyone interested can PM me and Ill give out her contact info. We are SE of Tucson

You can haul goats in your backpack if you want. Small enclose trailer is good, truck bed will work if they are tied in. A van works really well.

I didn't have any trouble with my goats at fence crossings. I would take off their packs and they would walk through the fence.