Sign in to follow this  
HuntAZ4life

Unit 6B mule deer

One of my favorite parts about hunting is the stock. There is nothing better than making that slow crawl to get as close as possible to put yourself in the right position to take a trophy. A friend of mine was hunting elk in Montana and had a couple bulls bugeling all around him so he decided just to lay flat in this open field with tall grass. Sure enough within 20 minutes he had a bull within a couple feet! (He claims he saw his balls) As an avidit hunter I understand the secrecy of everyone's honey hole and I would never ask as I feel it is the hunters duty to find the game. However within a month of finding out I was drawn for my first deer hunt I broke both my legs and my mobility and stamina are not quite up to par. I have been doing some minor hiking with my boots and the swelling is pretty intense. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or history in Unit B that they could share. Again I'm not trying to steal anybody's honey hole I'm just limited on hiking. If anyone would like share please message me as I would love to tag my first buck this year!!!!

Hunt- sorry about your legs. the statistics for the last 5 years are available on azgfd. the average hunt success is less than 15%. i live in 6b but i do not put in for that unit. 15% is too low for me. i need an easier hunt . so my strategy in putting in is different. you put in for 6b ? what was your strategy? do you live close to it??

obviously you'll have to stay away from the syc canyon. Best place you can possibly go is hunt along the canyon at the top, the first 100-300 yards at the top of the canyon has quite a few wildlife and it's pretty flat which makes for easy hiking.

Sorry to hear about your legs, I've broken a femur and tibia before, same leg different days and recovery takes quite a while. Can't imagine breaking both legs at the same time.

Hunt- sorry about your legs. the statistics for the last 5 years are available on azgfd. the average hunt success is less than 15%. i live in 6b but i do not put in for that unit. 15% is too low for me. i need an easier hunt . so my strategy in putting in is different. you put in for 6b ? what was your strategy? do you live close to it??

I have a cabin in 6A and put in for 6A and 6B, also at that time we put in both ankles were not made of metal. Thanks for the advice though.... Sad part is he would not have to ask for any help because we should be up their scouting for the hunt like we always do but instead I have the task of cleaning out my recently passed away grandfathers house and get ready for a funeral. We already have a few areas we are going to hunt just looking for any extra information to help my best friend with two messed up ankles get his first big game animal.

RIP Pa we know you will be with us always.

My father in-law has the Muzzy hunt the 26th, & my wife has the coues hunt that is Nov. 2-8. I will be out there for both hunts, call me and I'll tell you what I see 928-607-1919

Hunt south toward east pocket lookout lots of deer down there we've always had good luck down there but if it gets wet get out my cousins were stranded for two days down there last year because of the wet weather

Thanks all for the help lots of miles on the boots and one fork in the horn was seen. Hunted north and south areas of the unit. Did see over 700 elk so I'm pumped for my elk hunt. If anyone needs a lil advice for 6b elk I can help out if needed. Got to see some great country and will upload pics when I get back home. Glad my best friend was able to hunt every day but the last day with his two brand new ankles. Buddy I promise I will get you bloody on the elk hunt.