Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Rattlesnake Bite

I can't tell you how many times I have had had my hand or leg within a few inches of a rattlesnake. I have even picked up a live small rattlesnake that at the time I thought was not a rattlesnake and thought that it was dead anyway. I wasn't familiar with the species and being a biologist I wanted to ID it. However, once I got it in hand and got a closer look at it, I could see the small rattle and then it started moving! That's was an exciting moment! Luckily I picked it up behind the head so it couldn't bite me! It was a banded rock rattlesnake, a new species for me! I thank God that he makes them slow when it's cold out and loud when it's warm out (which is the main reason I haven't been bit yet).

• Like 1

Ben,

Rodeo is a long ways from anywhere ain't it???

We use to go just west of Rodeo after a good gully washer of a rainstorm and look for rattlers. They would get pushed up out of the washes and be sitting under the mesquite and chapparal. Cold from the rains.

Didn't think twice about getting bit back then, but now that I have kids out in the deep reaches of AZ I worry about it alot.

I guess, I just wanted a plan of attack in place for just in case.

I'm not sure what the hospitals charge to give the anti-venom shots, but I can get a dose for $500 from my wife at work. She's a vet and that is their cost on it. I'm sure hospitals charge 10x that much. I've thought about getting some to carry, but I don't run into snakes very often. Of course, now that I say that, I'll probably see one next weekend!!!

I used to watch that show "Venom ER". It is a real eye opener to see the nasty aftermath of a bad snake bite. It was almost a $1000 a vial for antivenom, and real bad cases took as many as a 8 vials or more.

I get real freaky around Rattlesnakes. Too many close calls. Had one strike, and miss my hand by an inch. It's head actually brushed the side of my hand during the strike. Always look underneath what you are picking up off the ground.

Not to mention the grass in 36B this year is as tall as I have ever seen it down there. I was with a friend on his hunt down there this weekend and snakes were on my mind a lot.

Call a helicopter right after you get even with the snake...

You can buy an annual subscription to Phi (air medical service) for $100. I think it covers you and dependents. The subscription covers all the helicopter/airplane costs.

They are also multistate.

Research it.

I don't remember if it was biology or hunter safety class (it was YEARS ago), but I had thought that it was really important to ID the snake because there's were two types of anti-venom. So if you can catch / kill the snake, do not just blast the head with a shotgun, but kill it and cut it off with the head in tact.

Perhaps the vet can comment on this.

I don't remember if it was biology or hunter safety class (it was YEARS ago), but I had thought that it was really important to ID the snake because there's were two types of anti-venom. So if you can catch / kill the snake, do not just blast the head with a shotgun, but kill it and cut it off with the head in tact.

Perhaps the vet can comment on this.

One thing I remember for sure....my dad after killing a rattler warned us that the snake could still, "bite" you after the head was chopped off. Guess I never really knew if that was a fact of fable as I trusted the man to his word on that.

I would be pretty spooked packing a rattler head out......gives me the creeps thinking about it.

Matter of fact he always made us dispose of the head so the dogs couldn't dig it up and get messed up with it.

Again, fact or fable I don't know .....................

NTS I would agree with your Dad. Every rattler I have ever killed (which is nearly every rattler I have ever seen) moved for a long time after it was dead. I dont know if they can actually bite, but their fangs are still deadly. I have always removed the ehad and put it somewhere no one would step on it. Only in the last couple of years have I started letting noisy snakes go about their business, with age I have become more of a pacifist. Snakes that don't rattle always get removed from the evolutionary chain.

Sure thing ... the ones that I've killed to eat, I splattered the head with a shotgun. But I was saying if you've been bitten already, there's two different anti-venoms which depend on which type of snake bit you which is why it is best to ID the type of rattler and for those, it's best not to destroy the head if you can help it. I'll have to look it up later ...

Sorta found what I was looking for. All rattlesnakes inject hemotoxin venom which destroys tissue and causing swelling, internal bleeding, and intense pain. Some species, such as the Mojave Rattlesnake, additionally possess a neurotoxic component in their venom that causes paralysis and other nervous symptoms.

Need to be able to identify the Mojave species so that the proper antivenom can be applied to neutralize the nerotoxic component.

This is going back 25-30 years to either H.S. or hunter's safety, but I remember a video pointing out the differences in the head and that you should save it and not destroy it if bitten. Don't remember them pointing anything out about the tail or patterns. Could be wrong there.

I didn't realize how deadly the Mojave rattlesnakes are ... there's actually 2 subspecies and you'd want to be bit by type B than type A. (Apparently type A is overbearing and a perfectionist).

Sorta found what I was looking for. All rattlesnakes inject hemotoxin venom which destroys tissue and causing swelling, internal bleeding, and intense pain. Some species, such as the Mojave Rattlesnake, additionally possess a neurotoxic component in their venom that causes paralysis and other nervous symptoms.

Need to be able to identify the Mojave species so that the proper antivenom can be applied to neutralize the nerotoxic component.

This is going back 25-30 years to either H.S. or hunter's safety, but I remember a video pointing out the differences in the head and that you should save it and not destroy it if bitten. Don't remember them pointing anything out about the tail or patterns. Could be wrong there.

I didn't realize how deadly the Mojave rattlesnakes are ... there's actually 2 subspecies and you'd want to be bit by type B than type A. (Apparently type A is overbearing and a perfectionist).

Good info thanks........I have certainly learned alot from this discussion.......I appreciate all the input.

Doesn't really make me feel any safer but maybe better prepared.....