Sign in to follow this  
swaro06

How to clean a rifle chamber

I have always used a bore brush that is the size of the case. I guess I have never thought about if I am doing it right or not. Some long range shooters will probably have a more precise and correct way to clean it.

A bore brush will get the neck area cleaned just due to it being slightly oversized. A mop should also be used when you are done cleaning the bore to get out any leftover cleaner and oil.

I run about 4 wet patches down first to remove loose carbon and powder, then a bore brush to remove the tough stuff.

I use a brush with a cleaning patch wrapped around it. When I clean the bore, I use a patch with the same cleaner to do the chamber last, followed up with a couple of dry patches.

I start with a small square of rag wrapped around my brush and sprayed with oil. Then pass through the bore from the breach end out 10 times. Then put a clean patch on the brush and push it through so 1/2 is sticking out the end of the barrel and coat it with bore cleaner. Then pass through 10 more times. Then a clean patch on the brush and pass more 10 times, then a patch on the brush coated with oil 10 more times. I repeat the clean dry patch and the oil patch until the bore is clear. I end on an oil patch (for longer storage).

I start with a small square of rag wrapped around my brush and sprayed with oil. Then pass through the bore from the breach end out 10 times. Then put a clean patch on the brush and push it through so 1/2 is sticking out the end of the barrel and coat it with bore cleaner. Then pass through 10 more times. Then a clean patch on the brush and pass more 10 times, then a patch on the brush coated with oil 10 more times. I repeat the clean dry patch and the oil patch until the bore is clear. I end on an oil patch (for longer storage).

I would think that starting with an oiled patch would just add another layer of somethig to clean through to inevitably get to the carbon and powder. Not knocking your method, just trying to learn and understand your method to your madness. LOL

Larry Potterfield, the founder of Midway, has a bunch of real good vidoes about the subject on youtube. Check out this one:

You can find a video on how to do most anything imaginable on youtube!

410 gauge brass brush. Don't go crazy with it but she works great.

Rifle chamber cleaning tool from Sinclair or midway. Break free or other product let sit come back and dry up the excess with the mop that goes with the tool. It should only have powder residue so it shouldn't be a scrubbing type of job. Then lube lugs on the bolt very lightly, Kel lube wont bind and has very high and low temp rating and a small bottle lasts forever the bottle has a needle type metal tip so you can put very small amounts exactly where you want it. Of course you can make a bore mop and a few q tips work as,we'll.