Sign in to follow this  
Brian27

Finally!!!!

I headed out from phoenix at 9pm on Thursday night with my grandpa on his 78th birthday and got to our "camp" at about 230 Friday morning. We were glassing at first light and watched deer all morning but couldn’t find a Coues buck on Friday. My 2 brother-in-laws got to camp at 930 Friday night and I got them all up at 5am Saturday morning. We al got on the quads and headed out but I could tell we were leaving a little late. When the light was good we were not yet to where I planned on glassing but I saw a nice ridge with a view and pulled off. Within 5 minutes my Brother-in-law spotted a bear and he distracted us for a minute as we all took a look. When I started glassing again I saw a buck about 100 yards below where the bear crossed the ridge. We watched him as he went behind a tree and he stayed there bedded down. We made a plan and I set off down the nasty canyon and up the other side to a ridge about 200 yards west of the deer. I kept looking for the deer but I couldn’t locate him as I hiked higher and higher. Finally i got to a good spot where I could see the shade of the tree he saw in and sat down and got out the shooting sticks. I looked up to see the back and horns of the deer heading down the ridge... I blew it. I radioed to my Grandpa and they didn't see him get up so I said start looking because he is on the move. They spotted him as he went down into the canyon. I walked across the ridge and disappointed started the daunting hike back to my family but taking the same path down that the deer took. I kept looking over the other to the other side and when I was almost to the bottom I looked up again and saw the deer!! He was a little over 1/2 way back up the other side. I went to my knees and pulled off the shot. I saw the deer do a back flip and land in the brush. I did it!!! I finally downed a mature Coues. And I didn’t have to carry him down and up that nasty ridge. I told my family what area he was and they walked over him and shortly found him. I was then able to finish my hike but the ridge was so steep and loose I was so exhausted I had to stop and rest 20 yards from the deer!!!! I took a drink and caught my breath and made the last push up.

post-5337-0-63820900-1351528257_thumb.jpg

post-5337-0-00710300-1351528292_thumb.jpg

post-5337-0-42238900-1351528334_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on a nice buck, nice of him to help save you some distance on the pack out.

Congrats buddy that is a nice looking buck and your family was there to share the experience!

Great buck! Congrats, always fun to hunt with family!

Nothing worse than having to pack them out of rough country, nice when it works out to your advantage.

I know how good it feels when you finally take a mature buck. It took me a lot of years and I ate some good tags before I was able to make it happen on a decent buck. Congrats on a job well done.

Congratulations!! Nice looking canyons in that pic..what unit?

Furthest south part of unit 27. The canyons were wicked. had to be a nice buck to start thinking of shooting.

I know how good it feels when you finally take a mature buck. It took me a lot of years and I ate some good tags before I was able to make it happen on a decent buck. Congrats on a job well done.

My family was on the other side of the canyon watching me come down. when I saw the buck on their side I shot him. Saw him do a back flip in my scop and I yealled.. WHoooHooooo!!!!!. I knew he was down and down hard. The second thing I yelled was "did I shoot him in the head?" THe last 2 bucks I shot was in the head.... I jumped 1 and it went in the knek and out the eye. the other buck I missed and shot his jaw....before I downed him with a second shot also in the head and not on purpose..... I think my scope was off hard up and to the left

Great buck! Congrats! I was looking for something big also but that always easier said than done!