Sign in to follow this  
Hanksaiditbest

Meat care help?

I have an early nov. MD tag and the weather is still a little warm. What is the maximum temperature one should hang a deer overnight to age without chance of meat spoilage? The overnight averages during my hunt are high 40's to mid 50's. Too warm or just cool enough?

We always put up a tarp over the tree and around it to keep direct sunlight off of them. But I would think that you would be alright for a day or so but would want to get it somewhere cooler as soon as you can.

Guest akaspecials

One night of aging won't do anything for the meat... You really need to age at least 4 or 5 days if you want to make any difference in the quality. That being said, it's too hot at the temps described to age it so I would quarter it and age it in ice chests. I've always been told 40 degrees is the best but I've never used a thermometer. Just throwing the meat on top of a bed of ice has always worked for me.

So aging overnight like you described is pointless. If you shot it that night and just wanted to hang it so you don't have to deal with butchering it until morning, I wouldn't worry about it spoiling at those temps if it's just one night, it's gutted, and the hide is off. I would be getting the meat into coolers before the sun started to come up though.

I don't have specific temps that I can give you regarding spoilage, I always lean towards the more conservative side and get it cooled as soon as possible. All the hard work isn't worth risking any meat. I'd rather be 100% sure that the meat is the best possible quality.

Just my 2 cents...

One night of aging won't do anything for the meat... You really need to age at least 4 or 5 days if you want to make any difference in the quality. That being said, it's too hot at the temps described to age it so I would quarter it and age it in ice chests. I've always been told 40 degrees is the best but I've never used a thermometer. Just throwing the meat on top of a bed of ice has always worked for me.

So aging overnight like you described is pointless. If you shot it that night and just wanted to hang it so you don't have to deal with butchering it until morning, I wouldn't worry about it spoiling at those temps if it's just one night, it's gutted, and the hide is off. I would be getting the meat into coolers before the sun started to come up though.

I don't have specific temps that I can give you regarding spoilage, I always lean towards the more conservative side and get it cooled as soon as possible. All the hard work isn't worth risking any meat. I'd rather be 100% sure that the meat is the best possible quality.

Just my 2 cents...

I would agree with being able to hang it for multiple days, but have noticed in the past that even one night of hanging does wonders over processing it the day of the kill. My rifle hunts have usually taken place in higher elevation with colder weather and have not yet been successful with a bow so I have never given much thought to hanging in warm weather. I figured I'd get some advice on desert temps. I think I'll hang a night and spend a cool morning gettin busy. Thanks for the input!

Agreed, aging should be done at refrigerated temperatures - 3 days for every 100lbs.