Hey All,

I know this topic has been covered in the past, and I have read through what I can find, but I am looking for a little info on 36A for my December Coues hunt. I am not looking for honey holes or the best spots to hunt (unless you really want to share, then by all means PM me!) but more about the terrain, the illegal situation and best places to camp. I have never hunted in the area before and hope to get a scouting trip or two done before I go down for it. I would like to know more about where to camp, where the most smuggler traffic is so I can stay away, and any other tips on the unit.

From what I have read, it seems pretty likely that I will run into or glass some unfavorable characters, which is fine because I have BP's number in my phone and will make sure to report it.

How have the deer been down there the last few years? Bigger bucks in the flats or mountains? I have never hunted in the December hunt either, what are the best times of day to be glassing and hiking?

Thanks for any help!

We saw illegals, some with rifles every day during the Jrs hunt. Several days (we feel) were ruined due to their activity coming down a canyon or over a saddle. One day the helicopters were flying around in full-force in 2 of the canyons we were hunting. The activity made the hunt a little rough but I would rather have the BP out there keeping my kids and I safe. There are plenty of bucks in the unit. What are you camping out of? Toyhauler, pop-up or tent?

Good luck with that December tag. Only have 3 whitetail hunts and two jr hunts ahead of you. Good news is I'm sure they had tags for all the above left over, due to the cartel bringing merchandise through the unit.

Illegals are there as is border patrol. Just like any other southern unit.

We are planning on taking a toy hauler. We would normally tent it but we thought that with the activity in the area it might be better to have something to lock up.

+1 Pine Donkey. We took an out of town friend javelina hunting down in 37 one year. He walked right over the top of a smaller cholla like it was brush not knowing what it was. I swear he was picking spines out of his beanbag for months after that!