Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Tina's first coues deer 2012 w family, friends and Team Young Gunz

I had the pleasure for the second year in a row to help my good friend John and his daughter Christina try to take her first coues buck. Although she didn’t end up bringing home a coues last year, I enjoyed helping out for a day along with my two boys Cody and Dillon.

This year the stage was set to be much different. John won a rifle raffle at Sportsman’s which also included a semi-guided hunt from Team Young Gunz. If anyone knows John, they know he is one of the most giving people around. It didn’t surprise me a bit when he told me he was giving the guided hunt to his daughter. He planned on Tina using the new rifle he had won which was a 270 short mag.

I had spoken with Carl, owner of Team Young Gunz on the phone previously about the women’s coues camp. I gave him a call and asked if he would mind if my son Dillon and I tagged along for Tina’s hunt. We talked for a bit and he let me know they were watching some decent bucks and he was confident Tina would be able to get on one and take a nice coues buck.

John and Tina met Carl on Thursday and drove in to set up camp. Dillon and I drove in Friday morning and arrived in time to join in the morning hunt. We all headed out of camp to glass from a knoll behind camp. Scott with Team Young Gunz also drove in Friday morning, but stopped to glass from a different vantage point in the same area. In no time, several groups of bucks were located. The biggest buck must have had a sixth sense, he quickly moved away from the other bucks topping over a ridge to safe haven before we could even make a final decision on what to do. One of the bucks that stayed around was a tall 3x and without much hesitation Tina and John decided this buck would do just fine and started to set up for a shot. After a few minutes Tina was ready and had the buck in the cross hairs. As we all watched in suspense, the gun finally goes off. Tina was able to anchor the buck with one shot! The hit was a little far back, but the buck expired and the celebration quickly ensued. Tina had just taken her first coues buck and he was a dandy buck for sure.

Congratulations to Tina on a fine coues buck and great shooting on her part!

Thanks to Carl and Scott for letting us tag along and providing this opportunity to Tina and John. Team Young Gunz has a vision which is all about helping beginners and getting new hunters into the field. Carl and crew are also hosting the Women’s Coues Camp November 9th. I encourage anyone who can to help out. There is a link on CWT, if you can’t find the post and would like to help out, send me a pm and I’ll get you a link to the event.

Tina’s dad John is who I credit for my passion for the outdoors. At the age of 19 he invited me bird hunting which then led to an invite to go on a coues deer hunt with him and his family when I was about 23. Little did I know then, that coues hunt would literally change my life forever.

Thank you John for a lifelong friendship and here’s to many more good times to come!

Tina and her first coues!

post-754-0-82524000-1351898018.jpg

Tina and her dad John

post-754-0-89293900-1351898076_thumb.jpg

Carl & Tina

post-754-0-97877100-1351898404_thumb.jpg

From left to Right

Tina, Carl and Scott (Team Young Gunz), John, Dillon, Justin

post-754-0-84532800-1351898242_thumb.jpg

Phone pics with some editing

post-754-0-25371300-1351898528.jpg

post-754-0-36964100-1351898572.jpg

post-754-0-71837900-1351898604.jpg

AWESOME!!! Amanda, you took the words from me! Happy/gorgeous/awesome smile!! Ear to ear in every pic! Love it!

Good for Tina and all involved!

S.

:)

That was such a great (short) but great hunt. Watching you and Dillon and John and Tina together that morning was such an inspiration. Watching John have a harder time keeping his composure than Tina was priceless. We can’t thank you guys enough for letting us be a part of such a special moment between family and friends.

Carl

• Like 1

Way to go Tina and Team! That's a super buck!!!