Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

Don's leftover buck

My friend Don struck out on the draw this year so I suggested he get a leftover tag for 36b. We scouted the weekend before the hunt and saw a lot of deer, mostly does and fawns. Opening morning had us out in position ready for glassing light. After not seeing anything for the first 30 minutes or so I was starting to get a little worried, I knew we should have been seeing deer already. A few minutes later we had a buck spotted feeding around some ocotillo. I set up to spot and Don set up for the shot. He would look like he was going to step into a clearing and then he'd stay just enough in the ocotillo to not offer a shot. He eventually fed upwards and into a clear shooting lane. Don was ready and dropped him in his tracks with a clean one shot kill at 380 yards. This is Don's first buck and he was super pumped, as was I. It was an exciting trip.

Here is where we set up for the shot. The deer was just below the half way up point on the hill right in the middle.

427783_3966856573346_1340235512_n.jpg

Here is Don with his trophy

36328_3966845813077_138900891_n.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations to Don on a fine first buck! Nice of you to get out there and help a friend!

p.s. I like your shirt :P

Love the leftover success! Congrats! Tell your friend he should get that rifle looked at, the bolt is sticking out the left side!!!

Congratulations to Don on a nice buck. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

I forgot to mention, this was the October hunt. I was slow in posting. Also, it was a leftover tag and we had that area all to ourselves. Not all of the unit is overcrowded.

Congrats!!! im headed out tomorrow for my leftover hunt and cant wait! I put my sticker on today!post-6010-0-16356300-1352338029_thumb.jpg

• Like 1