Sign in to follow this  
AZ8

Unusual elk sighting

Not elk hunting related, so I'm posting this in the campfire.

Anyhow, on our way home from a day of quail hunting, my brother and I headed out of Tonto Basin. Heading south at the 188/87 junction back to Phoenix, about a mile south of the turnoff, and not far past the rest area, we see a huge 6x6 bull in the number 2 lane of SR 87!!! About freaked me out as I wasn't expecting it. It was about 6PM, almost dark and almost the last light as my headlights lit up this huge bull!

I'm always observant....but this caught me off guard. Going 65mph....I about messed up my pants! lol :)

Has anyone else seen elk here? Can't believe how far south he was. In the mesquites, saguaros and pricky pears. Just bizarre.

I have seen elk headed to Roosevelt lake just past the rest area on 188 not far from where you saw them. I saw a cow standing in the road one night couldn't believe it. Prickly pear cactus and all.

When you've hunted alamo lake the spots that elk hold become much less suprising. And I know you will call me a liar but I saw a cow elk @ 4,000 feet in the Galiuros, miles away from Ash Creek.

I saw 4 bulls of the 87 south of Mt ord in August. Pretty low and crazy!

A 4x4 bull in 32 SOUTH of sunset loop rd.......no joke

I saw several cows off the Barnhardt Trail Road within a half mile of the 87 this past summer.

Wow. Guess my sighting wasn't unusual after all. They must be coming off the Mazatzals and expanding their range south.

Maybe we'll get a new sub-unit to hunt: Unit 22 Very South :)

I hunt unit 22 a lot. The elk range has expanded into that area, down to Sunflower, Mt. Ord, 4-peaks....all through the Mazatzals. We glassed way more elk than deer on our deer hunt. Saw alot of smaller bulls and cows.

last year a cow elk was hit west bound on the 87 just before you go up the big hill to mt ord...

James

A 4x4 bull in 32 SOUTH of sunset loop rd.......no joke

Close to where I saw that cow elk I mentioned in a previous post! But it was on the WEST side of the galiuros, high enough up it could have crossed over.

I talked to a rancher in 24B and he said he's seen them in the Two Bar Mt area. Hopefully they expand their range, then maybe I can get drawn more than once every 6 years... ;)